• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yellow and Green Chartreuse

avaserfi

Today I went to the liquor store setting off on my quest to mix my way through the Joy of Mixology to learn more about the craft and slowly build a bar. I was planning on buying yellow Chartreuse at the very least, but the price ($65 for yellow and $57 for green) had me think twice.

Are there more affordable alternatives?

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Today I went to the liquor store setting off on my quest to mix my way through the Joy of Mixology to learn more about the craft and slowly build a bar. I was planning on buying yellow Chartreuse at the very least, but the price ($65 for yellow and $57 for green) had me think twice.

Are there more affordable alternatives?

i can attest to the deliciousness of der lach's danzig goldwasser. the aroma and gustatory proportions are very similar to yellow chartreuse. the alcohol content is 40% same as yellow and i bet their sugar contents are the same. goldwasser seems to trade yellow chartreuse's acacia honey aromas for one of orange peels.

i pay $29 retails and $22 wholesale for goldwasser. the distributor in massachusetts is ruby wines.

the only thing imported to the states and close to green chartreuse is centerbe from italy. unfortunately they are usually just as expensive and not as elegant.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Maybe buy the 375ml bottles? It's not cheaper that way but it's less cash out of pocket at once. You can get both for just over what a 750ml of one costs. I have the 375mls, I've had the green for almost a year and haven't used 1/2 of it yet. Most drinks I've seen them appear in don't call for large amounts.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The short answer is that no, there are no acceptable substitutes. On the other hand, depending on the cocktails you make, a bottle of Chartreuse could easily last a year or more (they are typically used in amounts of 1/2 ounce or, usually, considerably less). There are also not so many cocktails that call for the yellow variety.

--

There are competing products (ex. Verveine du Velay), but I don't think they're much less expensive, as available, or fully compatible as a substitute.

edit:weird spacing

Edited by J_Ozzy (log)

I have been looking for half bottles for a while. I don't need a whole one. But I have not been able to come across them, at least in the cambridge, somerville MA kind of area.

Yeah, sometimes the options aren't an option. I would have preferred to get the big bottles of both but the LCBO only carries the 375ml.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The short answer is that no, there are no acceptable substitutes. On the other hand, depending on the cocktails you make, a bottle of Chartreuse could easily last a year or more (they are typically used in amounts of 1/2 ounce or, usually, considerably less). There are also not so many cocktails that call for the yellow variety.

This is pretty much what I've heard from quite a few people; since the holidays are approaching, maybe add one or both Chartreuses to your wish list?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I have been looking for half bottles for a while. I don't need a whole one. But I have not been able to come across them, at least in the cambridge, somerville MA kind of area.

Yeah, sometimes the options aren't an option. I would have preferred to get the big bottles of both but the LCBO only carries the 375ml.

Funny how that happens isn't it?

This isn't a dress rehearsal. Get the big bottles of the real thing. At the final reckoning it will all be a moot point...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There are competing products (ex. Verveine du Velay), but I don't think they're much less expensive, as available, or fully compatible as a substitute.

edit:weird spacing

I remember speaking with the Preiss Imports rep when he told me about VdV, and I said that it would be great to have a Green and Yellow Chartreuse alternative that was at a low price point. I shook my head in confusion when I realized that they were shooting for the same $50 price point as Chartreuse without having the history or quality.

My best advice is to go to smaller liquor stores and look at the dusty bottles on the shelves. This has scored me $42 bottles of Green Chartreuse earlier this year. I am also surprised that the yellow is more expensive since it is either cheaper or the same price as the green (one liquor store here has the yellow for $50 and the green for $55).

The other advice is just breakdown and buy the bottle but make Chartreuse drinks sparingly. There are plenty of delicious drinks out there that use more affordable liqueurs. That way, your pricey bottles will last.

I ended up buying a 750 of the yellow Chartreuse a few hours after posting the question and seeing that there aren't really any good alternatives. I figure it will last me a while and doesn't go bad, so we bit the bullet. When I need some green Chartreuse, I will do the same.

Thanks for the advice.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory