• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soberano Brandy de Jerez

Here's a question for you liquor mavens. I am very fond of Soberano Reserva Brandy de Jerez. Recently I've noted that they've started to label their bottles with the number of the criadera (I'm assuming this is the vineyard that the grapes came from) for each reserve. What's available down here appears to be almost exclusively the 8th Criadera.

I'm curious whether brandies from the other criaderas are available in other countries, and if so whether there's a big difference in flavour or quality?

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

i just returned from a visit to jerez, but my memory must have been clouded by all that tasting! however, this link confirms my cloudy memory that the criadera refers to the place in the solera system. so i believe your brandy comes from the 8th level of the barrel-stack.

http://www.answers.com/topic/criadera

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook