• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Would Like Some Argentinean Recipes

My GF is Argentinean, and her cousin will be staying here for a few weeks. I'd like to make a few dishes from their home country, and have just discovered locro and have made my first batch of Dulce de Leche. I'm still experimenting with both dishes, trying to get them just right. Ingredients for the locro are not hard to come by, so there's a good chance I can whip up something pretty "auténtico".

However, I'd like to get more ideas for Argentinean recipes. Any help?

Thanks!

... Shel

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 6/10/2011 at 3:22 PM, Shel_B said:

My GF is Argentinean, and her cousin will be staying here for a few weeks. I'd like to make a few dishes from their home country, and have just discovered locro and have made my first batch of Dulce de Leche. I'm still experimenting with both dishes, trying to get them just right. Ingredients for the locro are not hard to come by, so there's a good chance I can whip up something pretty "auténtico".

However, I'd like to get more ideas for Argentinean recipes. Any help?

Thanks!

We have lots of great foods here.

Obviously the number 1 is the asado (meat), made in a grill, but its quite hard to make in other countries because you have to come by with our meat, that is not cheap at all, and well, learn how to do it, its 100% experience and practice, as the process is quite simple

I love that you are doing dulce de leche, its great, one of the best things around here. I wonder what brands of dulce de leche you can get there

Locro is indeed a traditional food for certain times, specially when its really cold and its something that is not expensive, although I dont particulary like it

From there, you have many other foods, I will name them so you can check recipes from google, although I dont know which of this exists in other countries, maybe under a different name, but well, they are classics here

- Milanesa (its basically a steak covered by a mix made of bread crumbs and some other things) - Really good

- Lomito (a sandwich made of meat that is quite thin, it has chese, ham, tomato, lettuce, egg, etc) - The best I think are made on my province (state), amazing sandwich

- Empanada (its like a small dough filled with meat and other things (you can also do them vegetarian, with cheese and ham, chicken, etc), there are lots of types of mixes. It can be done on the oven or fried) - Also a classical food here, although this one in particular, each country has its own varation, but I know that here they make some insane empanadas, specially if you go to the countryside, with those grandmas cooking the same thing for 60 years

- Choripan (a sandwich somewhat similar to a hotdog, but instead of a sausage its a meat inlay (chorizo), I believe the word is inlay, not sure) - Its extremely good aswell, I dont know if this is made in any other country. Although I dont know if this "chorizo" (the meat) can be bought there. Also you will need, as someone mentioned before, the Chimichurri for this, that is like a hot sauce, works for lots of things

- Pizza (although is not something unique, the way that pizzas are done here is different to everywhere else, like USA or Italy. So maybe you can try some recipes, although I have to say that USA pizzas are amazing, Italy's not so much)

- Alfajor (and basically every sweet. There are way too many sweets here, but alfajor is probably the best one, usually made with dulce de leche mix in the inside, and 2 covers on the ouside) - Again I dont know how much of all of this has actually reached foreign countries, some maybe completely unknown and some are maybe sold in the supermarket. The world is too connected now

I think those are the main classic dishes here. As you see most go around meat, and the sweets go around dulce de leche. You obviously also have the wine, that is one of the best in the world, and ice cream, that here is actually gelato and its almost as good as the ones from Italy

From meat and dulce de leche, there are tons of other foods aswell

Hope it helps

• Like 1