• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner at Monkeys

mogsob

Now this is England.

Monkeys is an unassuming storefront restaurant on Chelsea Green, and it is as traditional as you get. Not overly fancy or elegant, but proper in every respect (even our Bordeaux was decanted into a claret jug). And that is a good thing. This is what Rules pretends to be for the tourist trade, but probably hasn't been for quite a while. Needless to say, we enjoyed our evening in every respect. Here is what we had.

Two glasses of house champagne -- very, very nice (I didn't catch the label) at 6 pounds each.

I had: (1) terrine of veal sweetbreads and wild mushrooms, (2) roast mallard with bread sauce, (3) millefuille of pancakes in orange sauce. The wife had: (1) lobster ravioli, (2) rack of lamb, and (3) tarte au citron.

We drank a 1988 Beychevelle with the meal.

The highlight of the evening were the mains. Succulent lamb, cooked perfectly. And the roast mallard was quite simply the best roast duck I have had in many years. For game fans, the menu also featured woodcock, pheasant, and grouse, among others and subject to availability.

Service was personal, but not formal -- I poured my own wine. Monkeys is clearly a family affair (kind of like an English Chez Gramond). I also appreciated the sensible billing policy. Two preset menus only (mine at 35 pounds, the wife's at 40 pounds). The menus include everything, from starter to pudding, coffee, bottled water. Everything but the booze. Which brings me to the next point -- what a great wine list! The Beychevelle was 78 pounds, quite reasonable given the age and only 20 pounds above retail (at BBR, at least). Also notable was a 1994 Pichon Lalande for 68 pounds and a 1983 Gruaud Larose for 100 pounds.

And, unlike so many restaurants in London, Monkeys does not turn tables! A leisurely dining experience in what must be a bygone age.

Highly recommended.

Glad to hear you had a great experience there...I had a stupendous meal there about two years ago but it was hampered by an extremely arrogant waiter. I'll be happy to give them another try when I'm next in London!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Wow, needless to say I'm shocked to hear this. Although I live in Chelsea, this was my first time to Monkeys and I could not have found the staff to be any more friendly and solicitous, despite my distinctive NY accent.

We were warmly greeted by Madame at the front of the house and shown to a very nice table where we could sit side by side. I had a lengthy discussion with the owner about the wine list -- he was particularly knowledgeable I might add. While the service was informal, there was a sense of "anything we can do for you" rendered with a smile and grace.

What happened on your visits that turned you off so? I did note that Monkeys is quite traditional and has an unstated dress and conduct code, so we dressed and acted accordingly. We also ordered a somewhat expensive bottle of wine and champagne, which is always a welcome site for a restaurant, so perhaps we were spared the attitude. But I enjoyed Monkeys so much, we are thinking of going a few times a month on a significantly lower budget. That said, I would reconsider if the lovely evening we had was traceable only to the size of our bill.

As I said, Mog, the meal was fabulous and I had no complaints about any of the other staff but it was unfortunate that our waiter was a tad on the snooty side, to say the least. I was dining with my solicitor that evening (I'd had a nasty accident on a visit earlier in the year when a young woman lost control of her car and hit me in my rental head-on, but that is another story!) and she and I are both women. We were certainly dressed appropriately but, and I hadn't even thought of it until now, perhaps it was the fact that we were women. Anyway, the meal was so wonderful that I wouldn't hesitate to go back as long as the finances are available! And it is great to hear that you had such a terrific experience all-round.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Wow, needless to say I'm shocked to hear this.  Although I live in Chelsea, this was my first time to Monkeys and I could not have found the staff to be any more friendly and solicitous, despite my distinctive NY accent.

No wonder they were friendly! Upon hearing your NY accent they realised that they were more than likely going to get an American size tip Circa. 20 - 25% :biggrin:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"