• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ichigen san okotowari?

Chimney

I've just learnt of the term "ichigen san okotowari" which probably means "regular recognized customer only" for the exclusive restaurants which do not open to the general public.

Just wondering whether any eGullet members have been to any of such places?

I came across Mibu Restaurant, which is run by Hiroshi Ishida.

See http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/tokyo-treasure-the-food-at-japans-most-exclusive-restaurant-mibu-can-literally-make-you-convulse-with-pleasure-1696232.html

By the way, although not strictly "ichigen san okotowari", has anyone tried Les Créations de Narisawa of Yoshihiro Narisawa (http://www.narisawa-yoshihiro.com/) yet?

Please share your experience, reviews or comments, if you have.

I have been to a few. After you are introduced to the restaurant by a regular customer in good standing then you can make reservations, usually by saying "I was brought by so-and-so". If you are wondering what happens if you just barge into such a restaurant without knowing the system they will usually politely tell you that they are fully booked even if they are not. The advantage of going to such a restaurant is that the quality of the customers is guaranteed. This allows the atmosphere of the restaurant to be controlled. The other advantage is that they know what you like and dislike and because you are obliged to make a reservation they will usually prepare something special for you.

Many thanks for sharing your experience, John. :rolleyes:

Very much appreciated. :biggrin:

Guess I need to have the right connection or know the right crowd then, before even dreaming of going to such places. :laugh: