• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banyuls

KMPickard

At the end of a lush tasting menu last weekend ( at Susur's in Toronto -more on that later) I was served a Banyuls that was heaven. It smelt of burnt sugar and was smooth and round in the mouth - not in the least overly sweet or cloying. And, yes, one of the several desserts was chocolate.

I was able to pry out of the server that it was a 1995 but she never did tell me the producer. I've never encountered this wine before as I usually avoid dessert wines. I don't even care much for icewine which is heresey for a Southern Ontario resident.

Can someone tell me more about this wine. Does an open bottle keep like port or should it be consumed as a regular wine? Any preferred producers?

And what does it pair well with aside from chocolate?

Thanks,

K.

Try to find Dr. Parce Domaine du Mas Blanc, you'll also find Chapoutier and Domaine de la Rectorie on lists. And don't forget the wines of AOC Maury, the other vin doux naturel, perhaps you can find Domaine du Mas Amiel. Some are more tightly allocated than others and restaurants have a habit of buying the best stuff.

Realize some of these wines are hard to get a hold of--some can work with meats and cheeses and on their own--and these wines are not necessarily slam dunks with chocolate desserts. Depends on the dessert and the wine.

To find out more about these wines, the best writing on the subject I recall was by Ed Behr, he devoted one issue of his newsletter the Art of Eating to Maury and Banyuls. It would be worth ordering that particular back issue from him. Some of his strongest writing is about wine and wine producers.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I will second the rec for Domaine de la Rectorie's Banyuls which is one of the best and available, with some persistence. I have not recent vintages of Domaine du Mas Blance, but some 25 yr + old one still hold up incredibly well

The ideal, and I mean over-the-top stunning and breathtaking pairing I have ever done with Banyuls was a pinenut tart. Even after a rather Pantagruelian S. French dinner I did a while ago, the tart and the wine (D de la Rectorie) were both gone in no time.

A.

The Maury producer to look out for is Domaine du Mas Amiel- whose older vintages can be steals - $25-$40 a bottle. If you like the spice characteristics of these wines, look for the dry versions- Mas Amiel was just purchased and is looking to dramatically increase it's % of dry wines it makes from it's grapes.