• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cochinita Pibil

Dakki

Cochinita Pibil

2 kg pork

200g achiote paste

1 c orange juice

1 c lime juice

OR substitute the last 2 ingredients with 2 c bitter orange juice

1 Tablespoon dried oregano

1 Tablespoon peppercorns

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon cumin seed

8 grains allspice

6 cloves garlic

salt

2 shots tequila

Dissolve achiote in the orange and lime juice and 1 shot liquor.

Toast the pig with the remaining shot. Make a paste with the rest of the ingredients (except pork) using mortar and pestle. Mix paste with dissolved achiote.

Cut pork into 3 cm (~1.2") chunks and place in a ziplock bag or other container. Pour achiote marinade over the pork and mix to completely coat all chunks. Rest overnight in the refrigerator.

Put the marinated pork in a slow cooker set to "low" and allow it to cook, covered, until it can be shredded with a fork (about 4 hours in my cooker). Shred and remove bones (if any). Uncover, set the heat to high and allow the marinade to evaporate, mixing occasionally, until very little liquid pools at the bottom of the pot when you push the pork aside.

Serve with hot corn tortillas and

Cebolla Morada

1 purple onion, julienned

3 habanero peppers, finely diced

1/2 c each orange and lime juice OR 1 c bitter orange juice OR 1 c distilled vinegar

salt

Mix ingredients and rest overnight in the refrigerator.

I suggest serving the onion with a fork instead of a spoon. The liquid doesn't really do much for me but the onion is deliciously crisp and habanero-hot.

• Like 1

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.