• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Manliest Restaurant in America?

Paul Funyun

Ever heard of Waffle House. :raz:

Yes, I've been to one. Sure, you can get large egg dishes at diners, but note they call themselves "waffle house" and not "egg house." On the other hand, there are shops dedicated to such calorically-dense foods as ice cream, chocolate, pastry, and cheese. Is the Ben & Jerry's Vermonster sundae a manly dish? I certainly think so!

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Yes, I've been to one. Sure, you can get large egg dishes at diners, but note they call themselves "waffle house" and not "egg house." On the other hand, there are shops dedicated to such calorically-dense foods as ice cream, chocolate, pastry, and cheese. Is the Ben & Jerry's Vermonster sundae a manly dish? I certainly think so!

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.theeggandirestaurants.com/

http://www.anotherbrokenegg.com/

I wouldn't describe either as manly though.

I'll play.

Keen's Steakhouse.

Link.

Maybe I think this because when I went I was the guest of a man with an enormous moustache that was much admired by me.

This man later died in a plane that hit the World Trade Center.

Unlike many of the other entries above, I think truly manly places are places where women feel comfortable too.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I'd like to suggest Sweet Inspirations in San Francisco's Castro district as the manliest dessert shop. I ate a whole slice of cake there once, and almost regretted it. They suggest sharing, but I am not very good at that.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

A waffle house sells more eggs than anything on it's menu. Nearly every breakfast meal comes with them. They certainly sell more eggs than waffles (which incidentally have eggs in them).

I was obviously joking but I really think you'd be hard pressed to find a restaurant that features one ingredient more prominently than a diner does eggs at breakfast.

I was obviously joking but I really think you'd be hard pressed to find a restaurant that features one ingredient more prominently than a diner does eggs at breakfast.

That's a fair point. Maybe we should suggest Waffle House as most manly diner chain.