• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"America's Next Great Restaurant"

jsmeeker

Down to the three finalists. Harvest Sol finally got the boot. I don't think she really ever understood what she was doing.

She knew buzzwords, that's all. Her explanations were just circular....."It's healthy". "What does that mean?" "It's good for you !" "In what way?" "Well, it's *HEALTHY* !"

I seriously have no idea how she made it as long as she did. She should've been gone somewhere in the middle of the pack.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I get the impression that no matter who wins, the concept will be hijacked by the "investors" and transformed dramatically from what was originally presented. If Spice Coast wins, I suspect it will turn into some riff on a taco joint. Probably with plenty of beef on the menu. :blink:

You might be right, but it could be a risk if people didn't see the winner's vision. Another possibility is a Hell's Kitchen prize where the "Head Chef at !!!!" becomes Skeptically-viewed-sous-chef at Meh.

But I suspect they'll install some general managers and get as far away as possible. If the concept fails they can avoid blame. If it succeeds, they can rush in to claim credit.

I suspect their investment is actually, at least in part, their pay for doing the show.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

As reported on chaininfo.com, the winner appears to be opening this coming Monday. That they've been able to keep the winner a secret is the highlight of the show, in my eyes...

The eatery, opening Monday at 189 Front Street, may serve meatballs, soul food, or modern Indian cuisine — but no one will know until Sunday, when the season finale of "America's Next Great Restaurant" airs on NBC.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

One little detail that I've come to appreciate in this show is that they break with the Top Chef model of saving the final elimination until after a final commercial break and then showing maybe 60 seconds worth of television. ANGR seems to save a contestant to critique after the break and then you have fewer dramatic pauses prior to the announcement. As a viewer I feel a bit less exploited this way (although I like Top Chef more overall).

And the winner is Soul Daddy! I had good feelings about the concept from early on and always liked Jamawn.

Felt kinda bad for Sudhir and "Spice Coast". He was basically told "make it a Mexican place like Chipotle". He does and the investors say it went in the wrong direction.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I get the impression that no matter who wins, the concept will be hijacked by the "investors" and transformed dramatically from what was originally presented. If Spice Coast wins, I suspect it will turn into some riff on a taco joint. Probably with plenty of beef on the menu. :blink:

You totally nailed that one on the head. Spice Coast menu looked like a Chipotle menu with tacos and carnitas. :huh:

Glad Soul Daddy won, but the Spice Coast concept was one that I would be most likely to frequent.

You totally nailed that one on the head. Spice Coast menu looked like a Chipotle menu with tacos and carnitas. :huh:

Glad Soul Daddy won, but the Spice Coast concept was one that I would be most likely to frequent.

But I think Spice Coast ended up losing because its menu ended up looking like, and evidently tasting too much like, a taqueria.

Jamawn, in addition to his food, showed himself to be a good manager, able to direct as well as be able to listen to the pros.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

99 percent sure ill be going to the one in ny today. i preferred sudhir to win but as long as joey didnt win i was happy. i would have lost all respect for the show if joey won. that would have said to the viewers all of the challenges meant nothing cause he was the worst in most of them.

99 percent sure ill be going to the one in ny today. i preferred sudhir to win but as long as joey didnt win i was happy. i would have lost all respect for the show if joey won. that would have said to the viewers all of the challenges meant nothing cause he was the worst in most of them.

As well as him being a total ripoff of a fairly new and existing concept, The Meatball Shop. Except at The Meatball Shop, they know what they're doing.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

As well as him being a total ripoff of a fairly new and existing concept, The Meatball Shop. Except at The Meatball Shop, they know what they're doing.

based on his intelligence i highly doubt he knew meatball shop existed.

for the record i am a huge fan of the meatball shop. if u havent been u must go

But I think Spice Coast ended up losing because its menu ended up looking like, and evidently tasting too much like, a taqueria.

Jamawn, in addition to his food, showed himself to be a good manager, able to direct as well as be able to listen to the pros.

Sudhir listened to the pros, too. They told him "make it a taco". And he did. And then they say "oh.. but that is too much like a taco"

I'm not hating on Joey like most of the others. I STILL liked the guy overall. But he really ran into a HUGE issue with his order taking system. They had NO set way to write up the orders? That's just asking for so much trouble. In general, I actually think the "get a number and we'll run the order to you" concept is fine. It's done in LOTS of fast casual places. But even setting the order writing issue aside, the way they prepared the food seemed to be out of whack. Was there ONE person doing it all? Seemed like everyones order had to be prepped in a small saute pan. I really didn't get that. But somethig like that could be corrected, I would think.

based on his intelligence i highly doubt he knew meatball shop existed.

He may not have, but I'm not as convinced about Bobby.

thats very possible that bobby wanted to ride the current meatball wave.

I will check out the H&H location sometime between 5-6 tonight. Hopefully it won't be too crowded. If you're there look for me, I'll be dressed pretty nice, I'm going to the Thor premiere afterwards. I'm really curious to see how much the concept changed between taping the show and now. I heard they redid the whole menu to make everything healthier. I still find it odd that the judges were so surprised by the original concept like it was something original. The Hollywood location is within walking distance of Roscoe's which is pretty renowned for their fried chicken and waffles.

I will check out the H&H location sometime between 5-6 tonight. Hopefully it won't be too crowded. If you're there look for me, I'll be dressed pretty nice, I'm going to the Thor premiere afterwards. I'm really curious to see how much the concept changed between taping the show and now. I heard they redid the whole menu to make everything healthier. I still find it odd that the judges were so surprised by the original concept like it was something original. The Hollywood location is within walking distance of Roscoe's which is pretty renowned for their fried chicken and waffles.

I'm a little surprised there isn't a website for this place yet. I too would like to see the "final" menu. I hope there is actual fried chicken on it.

I'm a little surprised there isn't a website for this place yet. I too would like to see the "final" menu. I hope there is actual fried chicken on it.

im gonna be disappointed if there is no fried chicken and waffles

no fried chicken. But there are waffles.

I guess Bobby lost the argument. Perhapss this is explained by this item that says that Chipotle is buying Mr. Ells' interest for his cost - $220K, and that they're pumping over $2M into ANGR Holdings in exchange for equity. Presumably, the other judges have the same $220K share as Mr. Ells, so it would appear that Chipotle will be in control.

ANGR Holdings also owns the trademarks on all the other concepts.

Well played, Mr. Ells. But I want crispy fried chicken.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

Yeah, that's a little disappointing. Soul Daddy was my favorite ever since the first episode when Curtis tried the waffles & fried chicken and raved about the combination and how great it was. I was really hoping he'd win so I could try that combination. I guess I have to find somewhere else local that does it.

I guess TV really does just work in one direction. Otherwise Sudhir would have heard me yelling at him when he decided to Chipotize his entire menu. It kills me to admit it but Curtis was right about an Indian restaurant without a curry. Almost as idiotic as a soul food restaurant without fried chicken. But then he would have had to satisfy Bobby with dipping sauces for the fried chicken.

Also thinking it must be great to open a restaurant after something like eight weeks of free (other than selling one's soul) national network TV publicity. Kinda tops the typical mention in the weekly Pennysaver.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter