• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice cooker and cooking different types of rice

annachan

I use my rice cooker regularly but have only cooked jasmine rice in it. I was thinking the other day if it would work with other types of rice. I know I have to be mindful of the water ratio when using different rice. Would basmati rice cook well in a rice cooker?

I make basmati in my rice cooker all the time, it's my husband's favourite rice. As I recall, I use a slightly higher water to rice ratio whereas for regular long grain rice I use 50/50

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

The three rices I use regularly are basmati, calrose and brown and I cook them all in the Tefal rice cooker. I use the measuring cup that came with it, but for basmati & calrose I keep the water below the line for the appropriate number of cups (probably a bit less water for basmati than calrose). With brown rice I go at or slightly above the line. I do find the texture of the rice is better if I fluff it up a little after it goes onto 'warm' function, and let it sit for another 5-10 minutes on warm.

I've also cooked pilaf-ish rice dishes, sauteeing onions etc in the cooker on 'cook', then adding rice and warm stock and they've come out pretty good. You do need to keep depressing the 'cook' button though.

I have done the above, as well as sushi rice a few times as well. It's probably a bit of a faux pas since I understand there are particular qualities and texture of the rice that are needed when it features more prominently in sushi, for example, but it's just so easy...

Even longer-cooking types like brown and wild rice can be done, as Snadra said you just need to make sure it's really finished cooking when it thinks it is.

Thanks everyone, that's great to know. I was debating if I want to get a rice cooker or not when I move. I like to start making other types of rice at home. Sounds like the rice cooker can handle the variety so I think I will get one.

Perhaps I'm simple but I just use the recommended amounts (measuring cups of rice and corresponding water marks on the side of the cooker) across all the different types. Seems to come out fine.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

My Sanyo rice cooker has different marks for different types of rice. I mostly make short or medium grain brown rice and find I like to add a bit more water than they call for.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

We have a Kitchenaid microwave with rice setting. It makes superb rice but as others have said you have to experiment for your actual rice to get the rice water ratio as rice varies. I use it for various sushi(short grain), basmati, Thai or Jasmin, and brown rice. Arborio and paella types are cooked in a pot/pan.-Dick

Kasma Loha-unchit says that jasmine rice is best steamed.

Because of its slightly sticky quality when cooked, jasmine rice tastes best steamed. Steaming fluffs up the rice and retains the fullness of its natural fragrant flavor. Electric rice cookers can be used for steaming, but most of them do not truly steam, but rather, boil rice. Usually the rice at the bottom of the cooker is boiled and only the portion closer to the surface is steamed, which is why the rice closer to the top tastes much better than the mushy rice at the bottom of the pot.

I haven't tried it, but it may also be that other rice types are also best steamed. I've been too lazy and have only used my rice cooker.

My Sanyo rice cooker has different marks for different types of rice. I mostly make short or medium grain brown rice and find I like to add a bit more water than they call for.

If you want your rice a bit softer, do add a bit more water than the mark on the pot.

I adore my Sanyo rice cookerS; they handle everything from quinoa to wild rice and steel-cut oats. They also make a mean bread pudding.

Kasma Loha-unchit says that jasmine rice is best steamed.

Because of its slightly sticky quality when cooked, jasmine rice tastes best steamed. Steaming fluffs up the rice and retains the fullness of its natural fragrant flavor. Electric rice cookers can be used for steaming, but most of them do not truly steam, but rather, boil rice. Usually the rice at the bottom of the cooker is boiled and only the portion closer to the surface is steamed, which is why the rice closer to the top tastes much better than the mushy rice at the bottom of the pot.

I haven't tried it, but it may also be that other rice types are also best steamed. I've been too lazy and have only used my rice cooker.

How long does steaming rice take? Never done it before. It may be something I try once or twice just to try it, but I think I will be too lazy as well and just go with the rice cooker.

• 3 years later...

My dinner tonight was inspired by Delights from the Garden of Eden.  I made half her recipe of rice, cooked in the Zojirushi on the scorch setting.  The rice came out tasty with a light, pale orange, crust.  But the texture of the rice was more like short grain Asian rice.  I think perhaps less water is called for.  That or a Middle Eastern rice cooker rather than a Japanese rice cooker.

I cooked a bone-in chicken thigh, skin on, sous vide four and one half hours at 58 deg C, with a bay leaf in the bag.  After chilling on ice and refrigerating I rubbed the chicken with a mixture of cumin, coriander, salt, cinnamon, cassia, cardamom, allspice, pressed garlic, thyme, olive oil -- moistened with lime juice, and in lieu of honey little allspice dram and Small Hand grenadine.

I baked/broiled the chicken in a very hot oven under the broiler till the skin crisped up.  Then served on a bed of spinach.

I am very pleased, other than that there is a ton of rice left over.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A Japanese rice cooker will NOT make satisfactory Iraqi/Iranian style rice. You either need one of the myriad ones designed for the Iranian market, or to do it the old fashioned way. I use my Zojirushi for everything BUT Iraqi rice.

A Japanese rice cooker will NOT make satisfactory Iraqi/Iranian style rice. You either need one of the myriad ones designed for the Iranian market, or to do it the old fashioned way. I use my Zojirushi for everything BUT Iraqi rice.

Does your Zojirushi have a setting for okoge (scorched rice)?  To the best of my knowledge only the models NP-NVC10/NP-NVC18 are designed to make okoge.  I tend to research things to death but I'm still trying to understand the difference between okoge and tahdig/hkaka, other than okoge traditionally uses short grain rice while tahdig uses long grain rice.

Some pictures I've seen of tahdig look very much like my rice last night.  In other tahdig pictures the rice is darker, more brown, rather than a golden orange.

One thing the Zojirushi manual says is that "if using a small amount of rice, the rice may not scorch as much."  This may be part of the problem, as I have the 1.8 liter model.  Even so, I will try using less water next time.  In the past I have been able to cook long grain rice (un-scorched) in the Zojirushi quite well.  However last night I used Nasrallah's rice/water ratio intended for a pot, rather than Zojirushi's.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

O.K., dumb question! Be kind. :smile:

I have a rice cooker (Zojirushi), which I love. But, here's the dumb part---- since I can cook rice with broth why can't I cook the rice with a vinegar/sugar mixture to made the sushi rice? (I use the rice recommended for sushi in my cooker). Has anyone taken that short cut?

Thanks.

• Like 1

I tried this, and the vinegar/sugar settles on the bottom and a slight crust is formed.

You really have to cook the rice, then fold in vinegar, salt and mirin while it is still hot.

Mine does not have a setting for okoge but the point of Iraqi/iranian rice is not just the hakkaka/tadig, but also the fact that all the grains are VERY separate and not at all soft as Zoji cookers tend to render them (it works for Japanese rice, not for Basmati).

Hakkaka and okoge are different in that hakkaka is allowed to get REALLY thick and crunchy, whereas okoge from my experience tends to be thinner and almost an afterthought. There's also the butter or oil factor in hakkaka, which makes a world of difference, to say nothing of the rice used.

It can range from golden to quite dark brown, that's not really the key issue.

I've never made Nasrallah's recipe for rice, but I've seen it and I'm not thrilled with how it looks. Follow the directions on any Persian recipe blog for rice, and that should yield good results.