• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appleton Extra

scubadoo97

I would like to get some feedback on this Appleton rum. I have been looking at the rum reviews and went to the store and decided to try an Appleton rum. They had in the premium the V/X and the Extra. I purchased the Extra since the label said it was aged "up to 18 years". I like the overall taste as a sipping rum and wanted to know how it compares to the V/X. I did not find the Extra listed in the Profile list. I have also tried the Barbancourt Special Reserve and the Matusalem Clasico from DR. All are nice rums. The Matusalem was better on the rocks.

Thanks, from a new rummy

Extra is a 12 year old blend and is the second oldest rum in the Appleton brand, owned by Wray and Nephew, the largest distiller in Jamaica. V/X is a step down from Extra (and also a very good rum)and is 8 years old, the highest is the 21, which is quite expensive (usually goes for about 50 dollars a bottle or more on Jamaica itself, you can sometimes find it in St Maarten for cheaper) and is not imported into the US.

On St. Maarten I paid 8 bucks per bottle for the Extra, in Ochos Rios I paid about $20. Its definitely one of Appleton's best rums, so if you can get it for 20 bucks a bottle or less in the Islands its a good buy.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...

To me the VX is the best value from Appleton although it isn't as nice as the older rums. But if you are going to sip something in a bar that doesn't have a great choice, I often Appleton VX.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...
Jason, Appleton 21 is imported into the US. I have a bottle sitting in the shop as we speak. Want it?  :biggrin:

I have 2 at the moment... Its a pricey rum.

If its imported into the US, its in really, really small quantities.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

LOL! You aren't kidding it is pricey! That's why I asked if you wanted it :wink:

I am not sure how it ended up in TN, but as far as I know, it isn't hard to get here. I can't imagine there being a whole lot of demand for an expensive rum like that. I admit it is one I haven't been able to bring myself to try at its pricetag. Mind posting a review of it?

Edited by mickblueeyes (log)

Its a very smoky rum... imagine Extra but with almost twice the years on it. I gave some to a single malt freak friend of mine and he thought it was one of the best Scotches he ever had before I told him what it was.

• 3 weeks later...

I visited a local liquor store a couple days ago and they wanted $28.99 USD for a 750 ml bottle of Appleton V/X!

I just go to a different shop about 5 or 6 miles away that has it for $18.99.

It pays to shop around...

Salud,

Patrick

Don't despair, since it takes a trained eye to notice the different labels of Appleton since they all come in the same bottle it isn't uncommon to find mismarked bottle of Appleton. The good news is that if you look around you might find a bottle of 21 year old marked as VX as is often the case in KMart in St Thomas.

Happy hunting.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.