• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taurus MyCook

lesliec

The MyCook (www.mycook.es/kitchen-robot/) is similar in concept to the Thermomix (there are several eG TMX topics but no MyCook one that I can find); it's a food processor/blender which also heats, so one can cook entire dishes in it.

For reasons which now escape me, my wife and I carried one in its box, in a suitcase, from Barcelona to Wellington last year. This is not entirely recommended! Its instructions and recipe book (which is large and comprehensive) are all in Spanish; this is not a major issue, but what my amateur Spanish translation doesn't give me is a feel for whether it's supposed to make the noises it does. In particular, on the lowest speed setting it runs slowly most of the time but every few seconds gives a burst of higher speed. Should it do that? The heating part also worries me slightly; there are sinister cracking noises from the bowl even at temperatures below boiling.

If it is in fact broken I don't fancy my chances of getting service in this part of the world, but I guess that's what you get for being a kitchen toy enthusiast. I keep telling myself it's actually working and doing everything it's supposed to, but I'd be interested in comments from anybody else who's got one (input from Thermomix owners is also welcome) about how their machines behave. I'd use it more (and make wifey much happier about what it cost and the joys of getting it on a plane) with more confidence it was performing as it should.

A major gripe, which I gather is shared by TMX owners, is the temperature control. Want 85 degrees for something? Forget it - you can have either 80 or 90. This deeply offends my sous vide/PID-controlled soul.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 7 months later...

You may have already found this, but I discovered your post and a NZ contact to "mycook" while researching a possible purchase myself.

http://www.hospotrade.co.nz/for-sale/kitchen-equipment/my-cook-professional-heat-assisted-blender.html

Hope this helps.

BTW I would be very interested in your further feedback.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter.

We had a visit a few months ago from Robert and Lynda of Rely Services in Melbourne, demonstrating the MyCook (among other nice toys). They were very helpful, even to the extent of sending me a copy of the manual and recipes in English. Turns out mine is doing everything it's supposed to do, so I'm rather more confident with it now. If you're looking, I'd recommend getting in touch with Rely.

My most recent experiments involve using the beast as a steamer. The instructions for this are a bit lacking, but it didn't take too much faffing about to get good asparagus out of it. Start with cold water and run at 120°C for around 15 minutes. The benefit is you don't have to watch and wait - just get on with the rest of your preparations while the MyCook does its thing.

Good luck,

Leslie

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory