• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Bulli's peanuts

lesliec

Hi all.

One of the 'smiliest' moments of our meal at El Bulli earlier this year was the 'cacuhuetes mimeticos', mimetic peanuts - look like a whole, unshelled peanut, thin crispy outside, ultimate peanut butter 'explosion' inside.

IMG_2403-1024x768.jpg

Although many of El Bulli's recipes are published, Google can only show me lots of people who have had them, not a recipe. Will I have to wait a year or two until the next book comes out, or has anybody here got any ideas about how these marvellous little beasties are made?

Any suggestions welcome - I'm busting to have a go.

Thanks,

Leslie

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Nayan - I'm stunned! Didn't find that one in my searches, and I did try searching in Spanish too!

That certainly sounds like them. Now I'll have to find some mannitol. Or maybe Isomalt would work? Then there's the moulds ...

Many thanks. I'll give them a try.

Bye,

Leslie

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Nayan - I'm stunned! Didn't find that one in my searches, and I did try searching in Spanish too!

That certainly sounds like them. Now I'll have to find some mannitol. Or maybe Isomalt would work? Then there's the moulds ...

Many thanks. I'll give them a try.

Bye,

Leslie

Looks like you can buy mannitol powder on e-bay.

Leslie,

No problems. There's something about Google that seems to give priority to results from the "local" region. A search in NZ won't give you the same results as a search in Europe.

Would love to hear how you go with your experiments. If they are successful then save some for me for when I'm back for harvest in March.

Cheers,

Nayan

Itinerant winemaker

Follow me on Twitter