• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Linguine with Squash, Goat Cheese and Bacon

Linguine with Squash, Goat Cheese and Bacon

Serves 4 as Main Dishor 6 as Side.

I stumbled on this while looking for recipes with goat cheese. It's from Real Simple (and it is!). I couldn't imagine the combination of flavors, but it was wonderful.

• 6 slices bacon
  • 1 2- to 2 ½-pound butternut squash—peeled, seeded, and diced (4 to 5 cups)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 c chicken broth
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 4 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
  • 1 lb linguine, cooked
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel, then crumble or break into pieces; set aside. Drain all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the skillet. Add the squash and garlic to the skillet and sauté over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and salt. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is cooked through and softened, 20 to 25 minutes. Add half the goat cheese and stir well to combine. Place the cooked linguine in a large bowl. Stir the sauce into the linguine and toss well to coat. Drizzle with the olive oil and add the reserved bacon, the remaining goat cheese, and the pepper. Serve immediately.

Keywords: Main Dish, Easy, Vegetables, Dinner

( RG2158 )

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• Similar Content

• By shain
      250-300g dry soba noodles

100g peeled edamame (or peas, or green beans cut into short segments)

300g tofu, cut into small cubes
      2 tbsp soy sauce
      1.5 tsp sugar

3 small cucumbers, julienned
      4-5 small spring onions, thinly sliced
      4 garlic cloves, minced
      apx 4 tsp minced ginger
      3-4 tbsp soy sauce
      2 tbsp miso paste
      2 tbsp sesame paste
      4-5 tbsp lemon juice
      apx 1/3 cup of water
      dry chili flakes to taste
      salt to taste  

Blanch the edamame/peas/beans in salted water and shock in cold water. Drain well.
      Blanch the tofu and drain.
      Mix the tofu with 2 tbsp soy and 1.5 tsp sugar and gently heat in a small pot or in the microwave (the heat helps the tofu absorb the marinade).
      Cook the noodles in plenty of water and wash very well.
      If not serving soon, mix the noodles with a bit of oil.
      If serving all of the amount soon, mix all of the ingredients, otherwise, mix the sauce individually and add it to the noodles and vegetables before serving.
      Add more water as needed to give the sauce a creamy consistency.
      Scatter some toasted sesame seeds for garnish.

• By liuzhou
      Following my posting a supermarket bought roast rabbit in the Dinner topic, @Anna N expressed her surprise at my local supermarkets selling such things just like in the west supermarkets sell rotisserie chickens. I promised to photograph the pre-cooked food round these parts.

I can't identify them all, so have fun guessing!

Rabbit

Chicken x 2

Duck

Chicken feet

Duck Feet

Pig's Ear

Pork Intestine Rolls

Stewed River Snails

Stewed Duck Feet (often served with the snails above)

Beef

Pork

Beijing  Duck gets its own counter.

More pre-cooked food to come. Apologies for some bady lit images - I guess the designers didn't figure on nosy foreigners inspecting the goods and disseminating pictures worldwide.
    • By amyneill
      Hi all!! 
      I work at an amazing little New Zealand Style ice cream shop in the beautiful Denver Colorado. I was hoping to get a little help on the subject of adding fruit into ice cream after extracting it and ensuring that, when the ice cream is frozen, the fruity bits don't turn into rock hard shards. I am planning on doing a cherry chocolate ice cream and I was going to soak some dried cherries that we're no longer using for something else. I was planning on using some brandy and a ton of sugar, but I was really hoping someone had a tried and true method they could send my way so that I KNOW that the fruit will be luscious as it's frozen. If you have a certain sugar ratio. I know there is the brix test, but to be honest it's been many years since pastry school and I am very rusty. Would love to hear from some of my fellow sugar-heads. 
      Thank you!
      Amy

• By daniel123456789876543
      I have been making pancetta for the first time. I have experience with the curing process doing things like bacon and cold smoked salmon in the past but this is the first time I have ever hanged anything.

After a week of curing it has had 11 days  hanging so far (I was planning on taking it to 28 days hanging) Although I foolishly forgot to weigh it. 
      It smells really good like some awesome salami and the outer rim of the pancetta looks lovely and rich and dark.
      It was a recipe by Kuhlman in one of their charcuterie books.
      But when I inspected it today it had the mould growing on it as in the pics below. I have since scrubbed the mould off with white wine vinegar and returned it to the cellar. Is it wise to continue?

Daniel

• By shain
      ~175g matzo (5 matzo), broken into rough pieces 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly slices 4-5 scallions, chopped 5 eggs 250g milk 150g kashkaval cheese (or similar), grated 100g feta, crumbled 1 tbsp lemon juice, or a little vinegar 1/2 tsp baking powder A pinch of MSG (skip it if you avoid it) Plenty of black pepper Chili pepper, to taste Salt to taste (depends on the saltiness of the cheese, apx 1 tsp)  

The mixture can be made a day ahead. Place broken matzo in a large bowl. Heat the milk and pour over the matzo. This allowes for faster soaking, don't bother heating it if your making the mixture a day ahead. - Meanwhile, saute the leek until very tender. Mix into the matzo. - Make sure the matzo are not hot before mixing in the eggs and other ingredients. Pour into a well battered casserole dish. Lightly flatten. Bake in 200 C for 30-40 minutes, until nicely browned. Brush/top with butter mid-way baking for added crispness. -  I find the dish to taste better, and be more crisp, once reheated. If you wish to, let it chill for at least 30 minutes or overnight before baking it again just until hot and crisp.