• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monday Moussaka

Philip Dundas

Monday Moussaka

There's not much better to do with the remains of a roast leg of lamb than to mince it up for a moussaka. The cooled lamb fat recooked into the shivering slices of aubergine with the melting flavours of thyme and sage recalls the best of Greek home cooking.

I simply mix the remains of the roast, including gravy, add lashings of tomato puree (ideally home made, to get the rich garlickiness or you can use passata or a tin of plum tomatoes, but the flavour is of course less intense), a handful of flat leaf parsley and some sprigs of sage. You can use a mincer but it's just as good on the blade of a magimix. But not too smooth, there's something wickedly reminiscent of the previous meal when you come across little lumps of the richly scented lamb. Sauté the mixture in some olive oil, add some stock if necessary.

I find it best to avoid too much fuss with aubergines. Just slice them round into a bowl throw in some salt and oil, make sure they are coated and put them into the oven until they are soft and golden.

Line the bottom of the bowl with breadcrumbs (Anna del Conte advises that every cook keeps a jar of breadcrumbs in the fridge - a great way to use up uninteresting bread), layer aubergines and meat until it's full. Sometimes if I have leftover roast potatoes I layer them too. Cook up enough bechamel to cover the whole, making sure you get it down the sides of dish like a comfortable duvet. You can put sprinkle parmesan to grill at the end of cooking if you like but I always wonder how Greek that is.

( RG2042 )

Philip Dundas

pipsdish.co.uk

twitter.com/pipsdishes