• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional Breton Buckwheat Crêpes (Crêpes Sarrasin)

SuzySushi

Serves 4 as Main Dishor 6 as Appetizer.

1-1/4 cups milk

3 eggs

1/2 cup buckwheat flour

1/4 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons melted butter

Combine all ingredients except butter and whisk well. Pour into a bowl. Let stand 1 hour.

Whisk in butter. Heat a lightly oiled 10" crêpe pan over medium-high heat. Pour in a scant 1/4 cup batter and tilt pan quickly to cover the bottom. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface and the bottom is golden brown. Turn and cook the other side about 15 seconds. Makes about 12 crêpes.

Notes: The first crêpe is invariably a soggy mess and traditionally gets thrown to the dog. You should not need to re-oil the pan between crêpes. I freeze any leftovers in a plastic zipperlock bag for future use. I've read that you should stack crêpes between sheets of wax paper, but I've never had any problems with them sticking together so I don't bother.

You can enjoy these au nature (fold in quarters without any topping whatsoever), spread lightly with salted (always salted, in Brittany!) butter -- traditionally, a plain or buttered crêpe is eaten before filled crêpes to start the meal, or filled with your favorite savory filling. For an easy filling, simply top each crêpe with a thin slice of ham and/or cheese and roll up. Another of my favorite fillings is seafood in cream sauce (roll up the crêpes, top with more sauce, and heat in the oven).

Another traditional way of folding the crêpes in Brittany is to place the filling in the center of the crêpe while still in the pan, then fold up four sides almost to the center to make a square packet.

In Brittany, buckwheat crêpes traditionally are filled with savory--not dessert--fillings, but they're also good filled with sauteed apples, or sliced strawberries and topped with a dollop of whipped cream.

Keywords: Main Dish, Appetizer, Easy, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Snack, French

( RG1742 )

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs