• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delta Delight Squash Casserole

Mayhaw Man

Delta Delight Squash Casserole

Marlene made this for her Canadian "southern-style" Christmas which she reported on her Blog

• 2 c sliced yellow squash
  • 1 c chopped white onion
  • 1 stack Ritz crackers
  • 1 c good cheddar, grated fine
  • 1 Large egg

½ cup milk

• 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper

¼ lb. Melted Butter

Cook squash with onions until done (transluscent onions). Crush crackers and mix with grated cheese. Beat eggs with milk. Add to cooked and well drained squash and onions mixture. Pour into greased casserole and sprinkle with remaining cheese cracker mixture. Bake a 400F for twenty min. or until bubbly and slightly brown.

I'll bet any Southerner can take one look at this and know exactly what to do. Me? I had questions.

"Cook squash with onions until done".

Ok, but how do I cook them: boil, saute? etc. It took me a while to figure out that I should saute them in the butter. Becasue no where in this recipe does it tell me what to do with the 1/4 lb of butter it calls for.

Great, next: "Crush crackers and mix with grated cheese. Beat eggs with milk. Add to cooked and well drained onion mixture. "

I had to assume that I mixed the crackers, cheese, squash, milk salt and pepper together. Only because near the end of the recipe it says, top the casserole with cheese and cracker mix. Since it also didn't tell me what to do with the salt and pepper, I just assumed it went into the mix too

And finally, can anyone tell me how many crackers constitute a "stack"?

Keywords: Side, Easy

( RG1208 )

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...