• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pimms

Corinna

I like experimenting with Pimm's. Recently I came up with this:

1 1/2 oz. Pimm's

3/4 oz. gin

1/2 oz. Zwack

1/2 oz. blood orange juice

dash Maraschino

My first attempt used lime juice, but it didn't seem quite right, so my friend who helped me road-test the drink suggested using orange juice instead and that was a significant improvement. We decided to call it a Blackheart but I think that there might already be a drink with that name. If not, then that shall be its name.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Interesting. I suspected ginger beer might be the way to go-- cutting the sweetness. I've never had Zwack, does that have the same effect?

Zwack has a sweet herbal cinnamon high note with a subtle bitterness and even more subtle anise character...it's essentially a digestif bitter in the Eastern European tradition, albeit not awfully bitter. It's a reformulation of the older Unicum product that is, at least around here, being primarily marketed to compete with Jagermeister in the places where it is profitable to do so.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman