• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curry Leaves, Naperville IL

liv4fud

I know I am on a roll with restaurant reviews.

But its been a while that I have had the chance to contribute. So with a full stomach, here's another one.

This restaurant happens to be on Brookdale drive, near I-88 and Rte 59. Its under new management (which happens to be friends with my friend from Stillwater.). Though, we didn't get a chance to go in the numbers that we usually do, it was a pleasant experience.

We started out with appetizers kabab sampler, chicken 65 and paneer tikka.

gallery_35162_6698_239145.jpg

gallery_35162_6698_22593.jpg

gallery_35162_6698_41514.jpg

The paneer and the chi65 dishes were mild and personally, I could have used more heat. But they were well seasoned for the general population that visits there. The samplers were perfectly cooked and had 3 different types of chicken: tandoori, malai and hariali. They were juicy, tender and well seasoned:

gallery_35162_6698_31838.jpg

Having had our fill of the samplers, we went over to entrees directly. Southern style shrimp curry, Handi vegetable, chicken biryani and naan sampler (onion, garlic and plain) came in next.

gallery_35162_6698_14482.jpg

gallery_35162_6698_260080.jpg

gallery_35162_6698_184717.jpg

Having found the appetizers to be mild, we had asked to make them with a little more heat. And we couldn't have been more right. All three of them were having good amount of bite and the vegetarians amongst us enjoyed the Handi dish. The shrimps were cooked well and the runny gravy was a good compliment along with raita for the biryani. But the biryani by itself was the star of the night. Well seasoned, great flavor and a crowd pleaser.

We followed that up with 2 desserts, the corn phirni and malai fudge.

gallery_35162_6698_164203.jpg

gallery_35162_6698_40762.jpg

The fudge was the darling and for the folks who have enjoyed malai, this is a can't miss. The owner did mention that they had to make it less rich but even then, it was awesome.

It was a good night in terms of our culinery experience. Let me know what you think.