• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best lunch restaurant in Morristown, NJ?

ELA

I need to have a business lunch in Morristown, NJ -- what's the best spot? It doesn't have to be the "nicest" or the "finest" in lunch/dining, or the fanciest restaurant, but something that has good food, not extremely loud, where two people can have a nice business discussion, etc.

Food, type, style, ethnic, not important -- from burgers to filet mignon, doesn't matter.

What do you like, dislike, etc.? By the way, my associate is a friend, so I don't have to impress anyone nor am I limited to the type of place. The discussion is business but the lunch is just two friends getting together.

Thank you in advance.

Eric

Edited by ELA (log)

I have very little experience dining in Morristown but was very impressed with Mendhi (Indian) and Ming II (pan-Asian ecelctic, both 3 Speedwell Avenue) when I visited. They're operated by the Mehtani family, about which I've written extensively in books and articles. They operate restaurants in Edison and Morristown, and are probably the top Indian-restaurant and -catering company in the region.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I spent the better part of April in Morristown while serving on a civil jury. Two places stood out to me.

Origin Thai II: It's a French-Thai restaurant that does a fantastic job of serving express lunches, yet if you want to take your time, they'll give you space and let you get work done. Nice variety on the lunch menu without it being overwhelming. We'll be going back for dinner one of these days (originthai.com/originthai2)

The Grand Cafe: This is where all of the suits from the courthouse go, and you can tell. It's upscale to a fault, with plush and polish all over the place. The food is excellent, but you'll pay for it. I remember being particularly annoyed with a $3.50 club soda. About a penny per bubble (thegrandcafe.com).

Give me a choice between the two, I'll go with Origin in a heartbeat.

The Famished Frog (famishedfrog.com) is perfectly fine, but it caters to everyone, so there are plenty of moms lunching with their kids while running from Century 21 to Baby Gap.

I wanted to check out George & Martha's but toward the end, the lunch breaks got shorter.

And if you're ever there on your own, get a glimpse of the hot dog lady on the green. Lightning fast while still following everything in the Health Code. There's also a nice new bakery in town called the Artist Baker (theartistbaker.com) with great potpies and cute cupcakes.

BLOG: www.northjersey.com/foodblogwww.northjersey.com/foodblog

TWITTER: www.twitter.com/billpitcherwww.twitter.com/billpitcher

My opinion, but The Famished Frog is basically a privately owned Houlihan's-type place in terms of menu; think salads and sandwiches. Just FYI, because I think it's fine, but nothing above average. Better choices have already been mentioned, but here are a few other thoughts/ideas:

-Places close to the courthouse (Fam Frog, Grand Cafe, Sushi Lounge) are going to be packed w/people from the courthouse at lunchtime

-Raul's Empanadas is totally casual, low $, but wonderful. There's a thread about it here

-If you don't have to stay in Morristown proper, you can venture out 2 miles down Speedwell Avenue to Hunan in Morris Plains (corner of Speedwell and Hanover Aves) for some VERY good Chinese food.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Raul's Empanadas deserves to be mentioned in case other people are looking for non-business lunch recommendations.  But the dining area is about what you'd expect for a fast food restaurant so it probably wouldn't be good for a business lunch.

I'll grant you that--but I took the fact that they're friends into consideration...I also don't know how busy it gets at lunchtime, as I tend to be there on 'off' hours! Still, one should know about Raul's if one is looking for good food in Morristown! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'll second the suggestion for Origin. We love this place and have been there maybe a half dozen times. Each time the food was prepared carefuly and has always been above average Thai. The service is excellent and I think you will be comfortable conducting a business meeting here.

Time to report back -- went to Sebastian's at the request of my friend. I liked it. Good food. Good menu. Rock shrimp appetizer, pulled pork sandwich, cheeseburger -- all good. Nice, quiet, not crowded, got a good table where we could talk.

I'd go back.

Eric

I've always liked Copeland. Great burgers.

BTW: You can now sign up for NJ Monthly’s free dining newsletter, SIDE DISH. You’ll get weekly updates on reviews, restaurant news from Table Hopping with

Rosie, recipes and more. Learn more about the newsletter here:

www.njmonthly.com/

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE