• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I can't get any Galangal where I live. I can get hold of it when I visit a large city or on-line. I was thinking of the next time I go to London.....to visit any Asian shop and buy lots and then somehow preserving it. I read in D Thompson's Thai Cookery book that one could use Galangal preserved in brine. How could I do this myself? Brine is salted water isn't it? Any pointeres as to what I should do? How long would it keep?

Thanks,

David.

I'm told that you can freeze fresh galangal and that it will last indefinitely in the freezer. You can buy galangal already frozen in some Asian stores.

You can also buy dried slices of galangal, but that form will not suit for fresh salads.

Kasma Loha-Unchit has some info about the different forms of galangal, including galangal in brine, in her cookbook Dancing Shrimp. The page is available for viewing on Googlebooks (page 58):

http://books.google.com/books?id=KR87yYyPf...shrimp#PPA58,M1

good luck!

I grate fresh galangal and freeze it in 1/4 cup portions in the little snack-sized plastic bags.

After it has frozen solid, I gather all the little bags into a Cambro container.

I have kept it for close to a year with no loss of flavor.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I grate fresh galangal and freeze it in 1/4 cup portions in the little snack-sized plastic bags.

After it has frozen solid, I gather all the little bags into a Cambro container.

why not just freeze it as is, of course after trimming off all the parts that do not look too happy, and/or cutting it into portion sizes? What i am really asking is, does grating prolong shelf life or should i say freezer life?

It's dangerous to eat, it's more dangerous to live.

why not just freeze it as is, of course after trimming off all the parts that do not look too happy, and/or cutting it into portion sizes? What i am really asking is, does grating prolong shelf life or should i say freezer life?

Grating renders it easier to use. Otherwise you have to thaw a chunk and then chop a mushy chunk of stuff.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 months later...

I through it in a blender or a chopper and then I either freeze it in ice cube trays then put them in plastic back once frozen. I also sometimes vacumm seal it in a bag.

For weekly use, I put it already chopped in a mason jar and mix in vodka and keep it in the freezer. I also do that w/ chopped garlic and giner (to make cooking quicker when needed).