• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edmunds Birmingham

We seem to be seated next to conversations that intrigue and demand a bit of earwigging.

And so it was when we were seated next to a trio of ladies who lunch, which included one MD of Birmingham City FC.

Hoping to catch some snippet of big spend transfer info that I could pass on to avid fan and celeb chef Glyn Purnell (Aw Royt Chief) :wink:

I persevered whilst my wife drowned out the conversation with her take on the menu, decor, and the tiles in the toilet (unfilled travertine?)

Eventually, I realized that the most exiting thing about the city currently, is its dining scene.

Interestingly enough Michelin starred chef Andy Waters worked with Glyn(Purnells) and also with Luke Tipping (Simpsons), but I forgot to ask if he had ever worked with Richard Turner (Turners) another new Michelin starred restaurant added to Birminghams now very exciting dining scene.

Andy gained his star at the original Edmunds in Henley in Arden,and has somewhat been out of the spotlight for a few years.

Although the restaurant has been open since last June it slipped under our radar until recently.

Well, in a city of high quality, bargain dining, Edmunds is a stand out.

The De Jour menu which was the one we had , is outstanding value at £21 for three courses which includes coffee, petit fours and other freebie bits and bobs.

This is what we had.

Deep fried free range egg with pancetta, chorizo & black pudding.

Crab salad with watercress & smoked salmon.

Seared sea bass with red pepper salsa, basil, artichoke & goats cheese cream.

Corn fed breast of chicken, polenta mash, oven roasted tomatoes, courgettes & baby olives, infused with oregano.

Bramley apple tart tatin with calvados cream

Valhrona chocolate with raspberries, strawberries & kiwi fruit.

Coffee & petit fours.

To start the meal a tasty and varied assortment of amuse were served, some of which were on tasting spoons.

Next was the bread, a choice of three, epi, seeded, olive pistachio?

I forgot to ask if it was home baked, however it tasted as though it was, in other words, good.

All the courses were served on glass plates which showed the food off to its best, I had the egg black pudding/ chorizo followed by the Sea Bass, then the Valhrona chocolate.

The starter was much to my taste, big flavours and just what I fancied

Sea Bass was nice and fresh, lots more going on on the plate, plus we were each served a little saucepan of baby potatoes and fine beans which we really appreciated.

The puds were decent and not out of kilter with the rest of the meal.

Its good to see Bramley apple on a menu, never seem to see much of them today.

Mrs G enjoyed her chicken, and so did I when offered a taster, I could have easily polished it off myself.

Her Crab salad, salmon starter would be first choice for her as crab is one of her favourites. Pretty decent stuff.

Coffee was good and decent petit fours satisfied the sweet tooth.

Service was excellent, very relaxed and friendly, nothing too much trouble, just one slight glitch, I wish not to be served a slice of lemon in my Campari, it MUST always be orange. :wink:

Andy asked if we enjoyed ourselves as that is his priority, making sure everybody has an excellent experience, I think you can guess the reply.

We were bowled over by the genorosity and true quality, and we now have four terrific dining options not a huge driving distance from home.

I still can't get my head around the £21 price tag, please don't put it up :biggrin:

2 x De Jour Menu £42

2 x Campari and Soda £9

2 x Glass Norte £9.50

service charge £6.05

Severn Trent water FOC

Total £66.55

As a footnote, parking you car is a doddle, and literally a stones throw away from the restaurant, follow the parking signs.

Happy dining.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I had a wonderful father's day meal here last night - no not for me but for my father-in-law, obviously the wife and MIL came too. Now i've been umming and ahhing about whether to take them to Purnells or Simpsons or any other of the Michelin starred fine dining restaurants we have here in Brum. But being that my FIL's name is Edmund, the choice was obvious! He could tell his buddies back in Hong Kong all about it. Plus he's never had that British "fine dining experience" before and the menu here at Edmunds seemed more conventional than at Purnells, which would have been my other choice for him. Anyway both my in-laws loved it as did my wife and i. Service and environs was excellent. The food was good, stand out dishes were the Courgette Flower Fritter, Sucking Pig and Rosewater Crème Brulée.

I took far too many photos to upload onto here but please have look at my Picasa album if you're interested in this excellent restaurant, highly recommended.

I had a wonderful father's day meal here last night - no not for me but for my father-in-law, obviously the wife and MIL came too.  Now i've been umming and ahhing about whether to take them to Purnells or Simpsons or any other of the Michelin starred fine dining restaurants we have here in Brum.  But being that my FIL's name is Edmund, the choice was obvious!  He could tell his buddies back in Hong Kong all about it.  Plus he's never had that British "fine dining experience" before and the menu here at Edmunds seemed more conventional than at Purnells, which would have been my other choice for him.  Anyway both my in-laws loved it as did my wife and i.  Service and environs was excellent.  The food was good, stand out dishes were the Courgette Flower Fritter, Sucking Pig and Rosewater Crème Brulée.

I took far too many photos to upload onto here but please have look at my Picasa album if you're interested in this excellent restaurant, highly recommended.

What's happened with the photies?

Just wanted to jog my memory on our excellent meal.

Tis very good, eh :smile:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

• 1 year later...