• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Egg Sandwich

weinoo

New York City has an old tradition for people on the go in the morning. And maybe other cities too; but here, it seems like you can pop into any "deli" or any "bodega" and grab a fried-egg sandwich on a Kaiser roll, along with a cup of coffee, for about $2.

People sometimes eat them later in the morning, at which point it's really not a hot sandwich anymore. It's a sandwich that at one point was hot, and was wrapped in deli paper, allowing the heat from the egg to soften the roll...and infuse it with eggy smells.

If I recall correctly (since it's been a long time since I've had one), the egg on the sandwich is of the broken-yolk fried egg variety. So the egg is thrown on the griddle or into a hot buttered pan, allowed to set a bit, and then the yolk is broken as the egg finishes cooking.

Then there are the add-ons. To my taste, the only possible additions can be either bacon, ham, cheese or some such combination thereof. Nothing else - nada - you wouldn't put lettuce on there, would you? Especially if you're planning on eating it later, because then the lettuce would just turn, well - gross.

I recently decided to make the fried egg sandwich at home. Unfortunately, there weren't any Kaiser rolls in my freezer, so I used some of my homemade light rye bread (click me). Fried up a couple of eggs in my trusty nonstick (broke the yolks, too) - added a bit of cheese and bacon and you know what - it was good. Not the same as unwrapping that egg sandwich from the deli, where the steamy, eggy smell hits your nose - but it was damn tasty.

So, do you make fried egg sandwiches? Are they good? And how do you make yours?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Oh, yeah! We make those a lot! Not usually on a roll, just because, like you, I don't usually have them. But they are great on a soft onion roll, when I have one. Egg, bread (untoasted normally) and, also like you, ham, cheese, bacon, etc., but no lettuce, tomato, etc. Spread with butter or mayo. I do sometimes make mini omelets and put those on bread, too. Not many places do egg sandwiches around here. But Waffle House does a great one on Texas Toast!

well, here in jersey it's taylor ham, egg and cheese on a hard roll with butter.

at my house johnnybird's choice is egg in a small pita.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I make them at home frying up one or two eggs depending on the size of the roll and adding sliced American cheese (Cooper's sharp is best) and a breakfast sausage patty. The roll works best for me either grilled or toasted. It is important that the yolk has been broken and the egg is full cooked if one wishes to avoid a big mess. I don't usually wrap it at home, but that would probably only make it better if I did.

• Like 1

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've enjoyed all kinds of egg sandwiches. The simple ones I make are usually one or two fried broken-yolk eggs on a toasted burger bun (though I need to get some good rolls), with ham or Canadian bacon and mustard, or just egg with Sriracha and mayo.

When I was younger, I used to enjoy an egg sandwich at a local Greek-owned burger/breakfast joint. It was scrambled egg with a split grilled Polish sausage, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on toasted sourdough. Somehow the egg, lettuce, mayo, and crunchy bread worked well together, and the sausage was the big kicker.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

well, here in jersey it's taylor ham, egg and cheese on a hard roll with butter.

I'm pretty sure hard roll = Kaiser roll.

When I was younger, I used to enjoy an egg sandwich at a local Greek-owned burger/breakfast joint. It was scrambled egg with a split grilled Polish sausage, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on toasted sourdough. Somehow the egg, lettuce, mayo, and crunchy bread worked well together, and the sausage was the big kicker.

That may be pushing the boundaries of the "egg" sandwich - not that there's anything wrong with it :smile: .

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I make them all the time--I'm a grad student, and eggs are cheap. But I usually don't break the yolk; I like the runniness of the yolk mixing with the bread. I usually add a dash of sriracha as well. Good stuff...might go make one now, in fact.

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians

When I was a kid I insisted on Scrambled eggs, Taylor Ham and No Cheese

Now I can do fried eggs, but still no cheese

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I do scrambled eggs (two whites and one yolk) and a slice of American cheese, on whatever kind of bread we have (usually Trader Joe's Tuscan Pane.) You do have to sit down and eat this over a plate, it's not as portable as the fried-egg sandwich.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

I always like a fried egg on an English Muffin, McMuffin-style, but these days I can't do cheese, and I have yet to find something to suitably replace it on such a sandwich. Without the cheese, there's something missing that ties the sandwich together.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

I make these for my wife on a regular basis. It typically includes a vegetarian sausage patty and is served on challah, or whatever bread is laying around.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I make them quite often. While I like a runny yolk for this type egg sandwich the yolk is best broken. I just made them this morning. Usually just the fried egg a slice of cheese and salt and pepper wrapped in a flour or corn totilla. This mornings offer was wrapped in a flour totilla with slices of avocado and red bell pepper for a little crunch.

This used to be my favorite sandwich as a kid. There's a knack to the 'fried egg' thing. You have to cook it enough so that there's still some liquid in the yellow, but not too much. Then you put a lot of mayo, salt & pepper on your bread. Lay the fried egg on one slice, then prick it just as you add the other piece of bread. You eat this whilst leaning over your plate so that any yellow that drips off gets caught on the plate and you can swoosh it up later.

And frankly, a really fresh, cool and crunchy slice of iceberg lettuce somehow does blend well with the hot egg and mayo and bread. In fact, I still like that simple combo better than the more typical bacon, cheese, etc.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Toasted rye bread, thin THIN sliced onion, ketchup and loads of salt and pepper. Broken yolk, absolutely, but a little bit of runny goodness is well, runny goodness. Never, ever cheese, or meat. Those came into my life later, along with the glory that is a breakfast burrito, but the fried egg sandwich of my dreams (and youth) is one as described here.

Sour rye is even better.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

A broken yolk is an abomination, if I do say so myself. I've no idea why the broken yolk meme is part of a fried egg sandwich, or in any fried egg application.

I love a scrambled egg sandwich, especially the Chicago Pepper and Egg variety. Scrambled egg, "Italian" bread and fried sweet peppers. Seriously good.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I like mine on a hamburger bun with a light smear of catsup and a smear of mayonaise. My mom used to own a burger shop and offered this for vegetarians and students on a tight(er) budget. I loved it so much that my mom's helpers would fix it for me before I even asked for it. Yes, the yolk was unbroken but had enough liquid to ooze out when you bite throught it. Hmmmm.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

A broken yolk is an abomination, if I do say so myself. I've no idea why the broken yolk meme is part of a fried egg sandwich, or in any fried egg application.

In the world of NYC delis/bodegas that Mitch was talking about, it's simple expediency. There's not enough time for the griddle man to truly blend up the egg and scramble every order of "egg and cheese on a roll" and if they egg yolk isn't broken, the sandwich will be too runny.

Typically, they crack an egg on the griddle, attend to a few more orders while the egg sets up, "scramble" the half-set egg (which breaks the yolk) and flip it, put a piece of cheese on top, attend to a few more orders while the cheese melts a bit, slice the roll, put in the egg and cheese, wrap it and hand it to you. Takes maybe 90-120 seconds, and in the meantime they've served the same thing to 3 other guys, plus made a few omelets, etc.

I suppose you could specify "scrambled egg and cheese on a roll" -- but I don't think it would taste meaningfully different in the end, and you'd just piss off the guy working the griddle if you did it every day.

Interestingly, all these places seem to work with whole eggs, and none seem to have that big bucket of pre-blended eggs you see in so many other places around the country.

--

I love a scrambled egg sandwich, especially the Chicago Pepper and Egg variety. Scrambled egg, "Italian" bread and fried sweet  peppers. Seriously good.

I normally consider a broken yolk an abomination and curse if I am simply frying eggs to eat as such, but in this context, it actually works better than a runny yolk or even, IMO, scrambled eggs. The latter is not a bad substitute, especially if using an English muffin. The cheese can be mixed right in with the egg.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I would have to agree with you there Maggie. The whole point of a fried egg sandwich is the runny yolk, it's the gravy/sauce. Lightly toasted bread, a little ketchup then eaten over the sink.

I would have to agree with you there Maggie. The whole point of a fried egg sandwich is the runny yolk, it's the gravy/sauce. Lightly toasted bread, a little ketchup then eaten over the sink.

The problem is very little actually stays in the sandwich. It's wonderful for something like eggs benedict, which is eaten with a knife and fork, but a sandwich is supposed to be picked up and eaten.

Twitter - @docsconz

Ha! On the menu of The Winchester, where I'll be eating a little later today, what should I see but a fried egg sandwich?

Fried Egg Sandwich – white cheddar, bacon, Van’s English Muffin Bread  - 7

All sandwiches served with plantain chips, add yucca fries or soup –1.5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer