• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Polishing chocolate

Edward J

I've got a small showpiece to make next week and I'm incorporating cast couveture and croquant, I've got some minor blemishes on the cast chocoalte and I've heard about using a makeup brush to "deal with them"

Does a make-up brush actually erase minor blemishes?

Will it give the item a shine?

I am totally dumbfounded by the variety and quality ranges of brushes available at the local drugstore.

Any suggestions on what type of brush to start with?

Any suggestions would be helpful

Edward, take a look at this thread about half way down the page.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...%20brush&st=210

It talks about a badger hair brush. I've never used one but would like to get one. I'm pretty darn sure it won't give the item a shine - if anything, I'm sure it will leave a dullish mark. Hopefully someone who's used one will chime in...

Good luck with your showpiece!

I've got a small showpiece to make next week and I'm incorporating cast couveture and croquant,  I've got some minor blemishes on the cast chocoalte and I've heard about using a makeup brush to "deal with them"

I am totally dumbfounded by the variety and quality ranges of brushes available at the local drugstore.

I've got a small showpiece to make next week and I'm incorporating cast couveture and croquant,  I've got some minor blemishes on the cast chocoalte and I've heard about using a makeup brush to "deal with them"

Badger hair brushes are the only thing I've heard of that works. But they're hard to find and $$$-Hilliard's has them but you'd half to order one.

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

Lee Valley has a Japanese varnish brush - very soft - works as well as a badger hair brush - but you aren't going to get shine - just a decrease in the look of the blemish. I suspect lacquer or sprayed chocolate with a whole lot of cocoa butter on that might give a shine - but I'd be doing a lot of experimenting on sample pieces first.

Tomric has a badger hair brush too - but it's very dear.

You can go to an art store. You want a brush that resembles a "blush brush" that women (usually!!) use for applying make up. At the art store just tell them you want badger hair or something compatable. The brush will not make it shine but it might help to reduce any blemishing. The brush is good to clean bonbons off when they get small (electrically charged) pieces of chocolate crumbs!! I have a Goats hair brush with fairly soft hair.

Deb.

Lee Valley has a Japanese varnish brush - very soft - works as well as a badger hair brush -

Is that the thing with the badger hair brushes - the softness?

Not just the softness - I think it's got something to do with the structure of the hair itself.

It must be soft because you are buffing the chocolate. I know that I did have a conversation with the salesrep at Hilliards but it was 1 1/2 years ago or longer. Badger hair works the best but you can substitute. Any deviation from soft will result in scratch marks on the chocolate. The harder, more firmer will adversely effect the chocolate.

Here is a link to the Lee Valley varnish brush. Note the description of the fibers as 'tapered'.

Badger hair is apparently oval in cross section instead of round - and also tapers from one end.

Sounds like there are a number of grades of badger hair (check out badger shaving brushes) that differ considerably in their softness and flexibility. The badger varnish brush I went to look at originally at Lee Valley was quite stiff.

I went out and got a Make-up blush brush. goat hair, made in China, and not cheap either--$28. It actually did remove some minor blemishes.

Since the piece is croquant and chocoalte, I had to spray laquer on the croquant anyway, so I gave a shot on the chocolate. Looks O.K.

Now, is there any idiot-proof instructions for me posting photos of the said piece? I always have trouble with resolutions and stuff, but I'd like to post the photo anyway.

stephane leroux describes another technique in his new book

you simply use a moist paper towel and polish the chocolate in small circles...

cheers

torsten

Tried this just now on some unmolding marks - works wonderfully. Just buff with a lint free cloth dipped in ice water and squeezed dry. Actually worked to get some light bloom off some pieces as well.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

I just tried it too. Like Kerry I used a lint free cloth just slightly dampened. My release marks were small so I just lightly did small u-shaped strokes. Amazing. Does it ever work well!

Thanks schneich!

• Like 1