• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daniel Boulud's DBGB on Bowery

Holly Moore

David Segal's article in the Business Section of today's Times gives fascinating insight into the coming together of Daniel Boulud's DBGB - A great Sunday morning read.

Even better, the illustration of the floor plan for the restaurant which evidently "sets Manhattan restaurant blogs abuzz." There is a enough deal to sense the flow of the kitchen and anticipate the potential problems. I'm putting my money on crashes between servers heading for the dish area and line cooks rushing to the walk-in.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

What really got my attention was this line:

Homemade sausages and hamburgers will be the centerpiece at DBGB, and the average bill for a three-course meal will come to about $32

So really, an average 3-course meal for $32. When some of the dishes being worked on are things like:

First up is a small dish of escargot and tomatoes topped with a puff pastry...The lamb ribs confit with roasted lamb leg and spring beans? “Maybe a little more herbs in it,” he suggests. The Maryland lump crab cake with a curry sauce and pickled radish? “More crab, less garnish.” The passion fruit crepe with mango slices? “We’re still not there.”

$32? For 3 courses. When can I reserve?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Eater has a copy of the menu here.

Looks like you could put 3 courses together in that price range, whether that would be a meal or not is hard to tell.

Edited by mjc (log)

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

Great looking menu and it sure looks like it can be done, staying away from some of the more expensive mains.

A burger, fries and a "chop chop" salad will only set you back $25. That's 3 courses right there.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I call bullshit on fries as a separate course.

Totally agree. So $25 for two courses and add a small ice cream -

right under the limit.

Lamb ribs confit: that sounds just about right.

I am so looking forward to this stuff.

So, does it become pain in the ass central right away, or will it

be manageable?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Attended a pre-opening benfefit for City Meals-on-Wheels tonight, and I'll just say if the food is/stays this good, we are all in for a great new restaurant on the Bowery.

Very nice, minimalist space - mark it down, everyone will complain about how noisy it is. But I'll be going for the food. And because I can walk there!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

The food highlights tonight were

Oysters Parisienne

Tete de Porc

Baba au Rhum

and the killer Matzo ball soup. I am not sure how many chickens gave their lives to my small 3 oz taste, but I can tell you it was many. It was by far the richest, most flavorful broths I have tested in recent memory.

The space is loud, but then again it was pretty packed to capacity today.

I know I will be going there for burgers and a beer as it is 3 blocks from work.

They have 24 taps too!

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

It appears to me that 2 people will be able to walk into the cafe area, have a couple of beers and burgers, maybe share a dessert, and get out for under $50.

It also appears to me that 2 people will be able to spend $200 just as easily.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Of course, the two people would have to get in first.

They will be taking reservations on open table, and the cafe/bar area looked pretty roomy. They also plan on being open all day, every day except Monday, when they open at 5 PM.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

According to the card I picked up last night, they'll be open till midnight Monday - Thursday, till 1 AM Friday and Saturday, and till 11 PM Sunday.

I did post all day, meaning it doesn't appear as if they'll be closing between day and night shifts.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

According to the card I picked up last night, they'll be open till midnight Monday - Thursday, till 1 AM Friday and Saturday, and till 11 PM Sunday.

Midnight would be an odd closing time that purportedly is going to become a chefs' hang-out. Most of the places with that reputation are open until at least 1 or 2 a.m., if not later.

Midnight would be an odd closing time that purportedly is going to become a chefs' hang-out. Most of the places with that reputation are open until at least 1 or 2 a.m., if not later.

Sure it would be an odd time. I just reported what's on the card that was given out. Who purported that it would become a late night chef's hang out...eater? A chef that never hangs out late? Bloggers hoping to have a new place to see their favorite chefs late?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Who purported that it would become a late night chef's hang out...eater?

It was the Feedbag. I realize they don't fact-check, but the one thing they do is hang out with a lot of industry folks, so it's not a totally ridiculous statement.

It's funny that a couple of days earlier, Feedbag can be quoted saying:

Metromix has a good photo roundup of last night’s mega-tasting at Taste of the Nation. I, sadly, was busy leading a bacon tasting at Jimmy’s No. 43, and missed the giant walkaround, but you know what? I’m kind of over these events.

What is it Feedbag wants, really?

Tasty Travails - My Blog