• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

isabella's

menton1

• 1 year later...

Haven't been in a while, but used to go frequently. I always thought the food was decent, and a reasonable value given the setting and the neighborhood. It's particularly nice in fair weather when one can dine al fresco out front.

They must be doing something right, because it's one of the few restaurants in this neighborhood that has remained popular over the years. I can remember dining there during a previous stay in NYC back in the late 80's.

If you're in the neighborhood I'd certainly give it a try. I wouldn't say it was a destination restaurant for folks outside of the UWS though.

I haven't been there in 10 years -- I can't even remember the food. But, when the weather is nice it's great place for people watching assuming you have an outside table.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

It's OK, kind of ordinary, the food is decent quality but I thought it was uninspired. It's owned by B.R. Guest (they also own the Dos Caminos chain, Blue Water Grill, and Park Avalon). I took a team of co-workers there a couple of years ago, and they did seem to enjoy themselves.

I guess it's been more than 10 years since I've been there. When my father lived in the neighborhood, it was a sometimes spot for dinner. Then it was nothing special and little more than one of the more okay places within walking distance. It's possible it's improved and it's also possible that much better places have opened.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Isn't that one of Steve Hanson's places, from before he started going upscale? Which means it's probably fairly reliable but not particularly exciting.

I believe it's his very first one.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs