• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

brunch in Essex County

marge201

A group of us does Father's Day brunch. Previously we've gone to The Restaurant in Hackensack (great), Arthur's Landing (great; still sad about them closing), Chart House (very good). We're thinking of Essex County this year. One of the group does not like The Manor so any other interesting ideas for a really nice brunch spot?

A group of us does Father's Day brunch.  Previously we've gone to The Restaurant in Hackensack (great), Arthur's Landing (great; still sad about them closing), Chart House (very good).  We're thinking of Essex County this year.  One of the group does not like The Manor so any other interesting ideas for a really nice brunch spot?

Not sure if it is still good, but the Brunch at the Hilton in Short Hills used to be good.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

[Not sure if it is still good, but the Brunch at the Hilton in Short Hills used to be good.

Oh, that's a great idea. Thank you! I'll report back wherever we go. Keep the ideas coming, egulleters!

Being I am in South Florida most of the time now, when it was coming up to Mother's day I went on open table and also checked the local newspaper on line that listed restaurants that were having specials for mother's day.

You might want to check similar resources.

You might want to check out the Bethwood in West Paterson, they do an amazing brunch on Sunday's.

-Scott

Scott,

Thank you so much! Never heard of the Bethwood. Website looks great. This could be perfect for us.

Just clicked around and I see that brunch at the Short Hills Hilton is $56:

"Brunch is $56 for adults and $27 for children, excluding tax and gratuities. Special pricing may apply on holidays such as Mother's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day." I think we can safely assume that the special pricing is higher? Wow, $56 for brunch. Who woulda' thunk? The Bethwood is $29 each, which is certainly within normal limits. Boy, $56. Unreal.

I never go to opentable but I just did and see that it's a great resource. Thanks for both ideas!

Marge

The brunch at the Hilton is very upscale in setting, selection, and of course, price. I haven't been in years, but when we went, that was our experience; I can't imagine it has changed much, since the hotel is still a 5 Diamond location. Depends on what kind of 'vibe' you're looking for in addition to the food!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The brunch at the Hilton is very upscale in setting, selection, and of course, price.  I haven't been in years, but when we went, that was our experience; I can't imagine it has changed much, since the hotel is still a 5 Diamond location.  Depends on what kind of 'vibe' you're looking for in addition to the food!

Yeah, Curlz, I'm sure it's gorgeous and elegant and delightful with great food. I hope someone invites me some day because it's unlikely I'll ever spring for it myself. (But then again, who knows!)