• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grating/Grinding Cinnamon

wannabechef

Hi - I have some cinnamon sticks which I want to grate/grind into a powder. I started out using a microplane grater which works - but I noticed that the grinds from it had no flavor and were mostly like sawdust. When I held the stick perpendicular to the grater though, all the flavor and scent of the cinnamon came out. I'm thinking that the outer layer of the cinnamon stick is flavorless and bitter - and not something you want to put into food. Can anyone confirm this?

If so, are there any techniques for peeling that outer layer away? I guess I can just keep grating it until I reach the inner part. Also, someone told me to try a coffee grinder which I will later. But then that outer tasteless part will be ground up with it as well.

If anyone has any experience with this, let me know your tips.

Thanks!

~WBC

I guess I can see that being a possibility, but instead of taking that perspective I would suggest looking at ways to revive the spice like you do in so many international cuisines. Even toasting the cinnamon stick in a dry skillet I think would produce a difference, but depending on your final use, may reviving it in butter, oil, etc.

I have the huge Saigon cinnamon sticks - 2 inches in diameter. The bark on the outside doesn't have the flavour of the inside.

I grind it in my Sumeet, then strain through a fine sieve. I return the bits for another grind. I don't bother to try and remove the outer parts.