• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Enchiladas--Cook-Off 46

@David Ross Thanks for bumping this thread. It's very timely for me.

I grew up on Las Palmas Mild Red Enchilada Sauce. My children grew up on it. So, after over 50 years, Las Palmas has changed the recipe and upped the heat. That doesn't work for my Sweetie and me. About a month ago I decided I would learn to make my own sauce. The posts in this thread have given me a great starting point. For the chili component I'll be gently using Penzey's Ancho Chili pepper. I'm not quite ready to jump in today, but most likely do so within the month. That's when I'll make my next Chicken Enchilada Casseroles. I sous vide B/S chicken thighs in a little bit of the sauce, then cool and chop; we like small chunks of chicken in the casserole. I make enough casserole for 2 meals, splitting it between 2 glass baking dishes, freezing one for the future. Our casserole sounds similar to the stacked enchiladas mentioned up-thread, except we bake it to heat it through after assembly.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 month later...

I haven't made enchiladas in a long time, but I had some old tortillas to use up, so tonight I went with stacked, grilled enchiladas for dinner. The filling is Rancho Gordo Rebosero beans, fire roasted jalapeños and onions, pickled jalapeños, and a little bit of Cabot extra sharp cheddar. The sauce is "stuff I had in the fridge." So leftover pizza sauce, ground dried chiles, and Valentina hot sauce. It was cooked in a hotel pan on the grill because it's hot and I'm not turning the oven on. That resulted in a sort of toasted/crispy base tortilla, which was an interesting change, but sort of un-enchilada-like.

20200616-174718.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

20 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

It was crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and Dubonnet Rouge -- all told, once combined with the chiles, a reasonably respectable sauce, I thought.

All about taste. Keeping you in South of Border Club :)

• 5 months later...

I've been trying to get more experienced and familiar with Mexican cooking (both the traditional and the more tex-mexy). Enchiladas are definitely among my favorite preparations in any fashion.

Home made corn tortillas, pen fried, pressed into a spiced egg mixture and briefly fried. All coated in a salsa verde of roasted green chilies, garlic, herbs, some coriander seed and sour cream.

Filled with grilled onions, feta and mozzarella (for lack of any Mexican cheeses). Heated through, topped with more sour cream and some pickled chilies.

IMG_20200815_152614_1.thumb.jpg.3f16782a51788c080a5eeb840403e700.jpg

Enchilada rojas. Home made corn tortillas. Pan fried and soaked in a sauce of grilled chilies, grilled tomatoes, ancho chilies, garlic, and a few spices. Filled with feta cheese and grilled onion.

PXL_20200908_193034105.thumb.jpg.2738ffd889d62afc1957cf4013078fdd.jpg

Baked enchiladas. Filling is made with spinach, onion, feta and mozzarella, grilled corn, egg, spices (coriander, cumin, oregano), chilies. Wrapped in corn tortillas. Sauce is a chipotle Mornay, made with dried chipotle, dried mild chilies, milk, cheeses, spices. Topping is sour cream mixed with the spiced spinach component of the filling (cooked spinach, cilantro, fresh oregano, garlic, toasted coriander, cumin, chili) and lime. 

PXL_20201111_195049883.thumb.jpg.6c32596c28dba8cb7c1b1fecaa734304.jpg

Enfrijoladas. Tortillas dipped in bean sauce with dried chilies, coriander seeds, cumin. Filled with boiled egg, onion and cheeses. Baked to melt. Sour cream, chilies, pepitas.

IMG_20190809_144437.thumb.jpg.25b88098ba19bec9b080e7fa0ae3c9a8.jpgIMG_20190809_143718_1.thumb.jpg.0007ad11602155bf02b994ab094f7b45.jpg

I notice a theme - apparently I like serving enchiladas with grilled corn.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 3

~ Shai N.

5 minutes ago, shain said:

I've been trying to get more experienced and familiar with Mexican cooking (both the traditional and the more tex-mexy). Enchiladas are definitely among my favorite preparations in any fashion.

Home made corn tortillas, pen fried, pressed into a spiced egg mixture and briefly fried. All coated in a salsa verde of roasted green chilies, garlic, herbs, some coriander seed and sour cream.

Filled with grilled onions, feta and mozzarella (for lack of any Mexican cheeses). Heated through, topped with more sour cream and some pickled chilies.

IMG_20200815_152614_1.thumb.jpg.3f16782a51788c080a5eeb840403e700.jpg

Enchilada rojas. Home made corn tortillas. Pan fried and soaked in a sauce of grilled chilies, grilled tomatoes, ancho chilies, garlic, and a few spices. Filled with feta cheese and grilled onion.

PXL_20200908_193034105.thumb.jpg.2738ffd889d62afc1957cf4013078fdd.jpg

Baked enchiladas. Filling is made with spinach, onion, feta and mozzarella, grilled corn, egg, spices (coriander, cumin, oregano), chilies. Wrapped in corn tortillas. Sauce is a chipotle Mornay, made with dried chipotle, dried mild chilies, milk, cheeses, spices. Topping is sour cream mixed with the spiced spinach component of the filling (cooked spinach, cilantro, fresh oregano, garlic, toasted coriander, cumin, chili) and lime. 

PXL_20201111_195049883.thumb.jpg.6c32596c28dba8cb7c1b1fecaa734304.jpg

Enfrijoladas. Tortillas dipped in bean sauce with dried chilies, coriander seeds, cumin. Filled with boiled egg, onion and cheeses. Baked to melt. Sour cream, chilies, pepitas.

IMG_20190809_144437.thumb.jpg.25b88098ba19bec9b080e7fa0ae3c9a8.jpgIMG_20190809_143718_1.thumb.jpg.0007ad11602155bf02b994ab094f7b45.jpg

I notice a theme - apparently I like serving enchiladas with grilled corn.

The 3 sisters of Hispanic cuisine are beans/corn/squash  https://www.nativeseeds.org/blogs/blog-news/how-to-grow-a-three-sisters-garden#:~:text=Who are the three sisters,garden as well as nutritionally. 

So many resources and authenticity whatever that is is nice but one adapts. We love Diana -  not a Mexico nativ but an ambassador for sure (as was her diplomt hubby) https://forums.egullet.org/topic/135118-cooking-with-diana-kennedys-oaxaca-al-gusto/page/2/

• Like 2