• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mauviel M'cook

A.Iley

Hello,

After about 16 years of abuse my much loved Le chasseur cast iron pan set needs replacing. Due to a couple of operations on my wrist, I'm looking for lighter pans.

So I happily started researching.........got the shock of my life.....he I haven't looked at another pan for 16 years, so prices where a bit of shock. :huh:

And my chasseur pans where half price at the time.

The Egullet tutorial on stovetop cookware was a great source of information and with that I started looking at the different brands on offer. Living in Europe means not all the brands mentioned are available here....but still I think I've got it narrowed down somewhat.

I'm looking for good quality pans, that will last me for a long long time.

So I'm looking now at the Mauviel M'cook series, these are 7-ply.

Unfortunately I can't find any reviews on this series, lots of praise for there copper pans (which would be to heavy for me), but nothing on the SS-pans.

So I would love to hear if these are good quality and worth the money.

Now another one and costing 30% more then the Mauviel is ofcourse the Demeyere Atlantis series. Some of these pans are 7-ply and some have a copper disc in the bottom, depending on there purpose. I understand the benefits of copper, but am wondering if the benefits of this ways up to the extra $$$$.

Then there is the German brand Fissler, I've heard some good things about their profi range, but in price it comes close to the (in my opinion) much nicer looking Mauviel. However quality is more important to me.

In my pre-chasseur era I've buckled more pans then I would like to remember.

Oh......btw I cook on gas.

Bottom line is that I just really want a good set of pans and am prepared to pay for it.

I won't be buying a set, I'll just replace one pan a the time, when my bankmanager permits :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, I've been looking to upgrade cookware recently too, and I too noticed Mauviel's M'cook line, along with Viking. Both tout seven ply stainless over aluminum construction. I probably would have gone for AllClad had the handles not been so uncomfortable. What responses popped up when I asked about Viking seemed to be very positive - price excepted - and I am assuming that the actual multilayer material is the same in M'cook and Viking. The weight feels the same to me.

Anyway, people who had used Viking wrote they were happy with quality, and based on hope or faith faith that the actual pots would have identical cooking performance, I ordered a M'cook stainless saute from www.jbprince.com who have the best prices I could find. I really like that pan and subsequently found a couple more Mauviel stainless pans at auction, and bought them.

Very interesting - three pans, all Mauviel, all M'cook stainless, but three completely different handle designs. One, cast iron, is from JBPrince, and the brass and stainless handled pans each came separately from different auction sites. All have riveted attachment to the body of the pan.

I have only had those pans a few days, but the cast iron handle is my preference; the cast iron handle seems to stay a little cooler. The brass is gorgous but gets hot in moments. The stainless is middling in it's time to heat up. I am presuming www.jbprince.com gets some sort of commercial version of M'cook stainless and that the slicker stainless and brass handles are intended for homeowner use, given what looks like a higher emphasis on esthetics over function.

Prince's prices are quite a bit lower so it appears to me to be a win-win situation.

Best,

C