• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston Dining for business

Curlz

My boss has just asked me to help her find a few restaurants in Boston for some upcoming client lunches and dinners. She'll be at a conference at the new Westin Boston Waterfront, and I'm at a total loss as it's (sadly) been years since my friends lived in/around the city!

For reference, the last time she was up there, she had lunch at Brasserie Jo and at Stephanie's on Newbury. Dinner was at Hammersly's Bistro, which she really enjoyed, and said she would return to except for the fact that our clients will think it's the only place we know up there. :raz:

We're looking for non-chain places that aren't overly formal, but where the food and drinks/wine are good. Budget isn't a major issue, but $50-60pp isn't unreasonable, so don't hold back on the good spots!

At least one of the dinners will involve a small group (8-10), so if there are any recommendations for restaurants with a semi-private (semi- is actually preferred over a full private room) space, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance for your help, my fellow eGulleteers!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

What's your transportation situation?

As far as I can tell, they'll all be getting there on their own. Most of the clients are going to the conference, but those who don't will be coming from within a pretty short distance. I guess anywhere that is within a cab ride or T stop from the Westin and/or has parking--so all options! I would likely keep them in Boston (vs. Cambridge, for instance), but throw your good ideas my way and I'll share links/menus/distances with her as needed.

THANKS!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Hammersley's Bistro and Tremont 647, both in the South End are good dinner options. Much nicer (and more formal / $$$) is L'Espalier in the Mandarin Oriental; however, their sister restaurant Sel de la Terre, is much less formal and $$$, also in the Mandarin - open for lunch and dinner.

There are several restaurants in the North End to consider, such as Prezza and Lucca.

Hammersley's Bistro and Tremont 647, both in the South End  are good dinner options.  Much nicer (and more formal / $$$) is L'Espalier in the Mandarin Oriental; however, their sister restaurant Sel de la Terre, is much less formal and $$$, also in the Mandarin - open for lunch and dinner.

There are several restaurants in the North End to consider, such as Prezza and Lucca.

Thanks...these are very helpful, Elizabeth! Lucca is particularly intriguing in terms of location and menu. And of course, I'm reading all of the menus and thinking I need to get back up to Boston soon! :biggrin:

Please keep 'em coming, folks!

Curlz

No. 9 Park. Excellent food by any standard, and about a year ago I was part of a very high end corporate group (12-ish) and was very impressed with the semi-private space, atmosphere, service, menu choices, etc. for a large party. It's probably too far a walk from the Westin for non-locals but it isn't far--across from the State House and Boston Common, a lovely venue. Definitely at the high end of your price point but worth it.

Brasserie Jo. a quick walk from the Weston in the Colonnade Hotel just down Huntington Ave. The food is reliably good and reasonably priced, though not innovative, and the space is big. Large group lunches or dinners would not be a problem.

Petit Robert Bistro. On Columbus Ave in the South End. A lovely neighborhood and 10 minute walk from the Westin, not a far or complicated walk with a map. Food is excellent standard bistro cuisine, not expensive. The space would be cozy for a group your size--off a small lively bar there's a long, narrow dining room that can easily be configured for a group.