• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cantoon Garden

Pan

I went to this restaurant yesterday with my girlfriend, based on recommendations from Chowhounds who struck me as knowledgeable. For a place that started out by putting me off somewhat because the teacup had a residual lemon cleanser aroma and I had to have my chopsticks replaced, due to a couple of bits of vegetable on them, I could hardly have been more pleased. We ordered Fried Tofu with Assorted Seafood in Casserole, a special, and Pea Shoots with Double Egg. The casserole was excellent, superior to the equivalent dish at Congee Village. The pea shoots were accompanied by century egg and egg drop over chopped meat (probably pork), making for an interesting and again, very tasty and satisfying dish. I really liked my meal, and the portions were absolutely humongous (while the prices were inexpensive: $38 and change before tip), so I took home most of it. And I haven't finished it yet; most of the pea shoots are still in my refrigerator. It's unlikely I would have wandered into the restaurant without recommendations, because its exterior is so unprepossessing - it looks like they haven't done anything to it in 20 years, maybe longer - and you really can't judge the food's quality from the menu. But take it from me; it's well worth going.

Cantoon Garden

22 Elizabeth St. (between Bayard and Canal)

(212) 964-2229

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

• 1 month later...

In case any of you are interested:

On Tuesday evening, I was part of a party of 16 at Cantoon Garden for dinner. My brother ordered one of the Chinese-language banquet sets for $198, after the waiter explained what the dishes (some of them, it turned out) were, and one or two more fish courses were substituted for frog (which most of the people at the banquet didn't like). A few other dishes were also ordered. Everything was shared around two combined tables, and there were plenty of leftovers that were taken home at the end of the banquet, but we also ate a lot, and the party was happy. I will describe the dishes we had to the best of my ability:

Wonderful, soothing, unfishy-tasting Fish Soup, a single small bowl per person to start the meal. The first of several highlights of the meal.

Circle-cut large carp slice with sliced onions, braised in a wonderful garlicky sauce, brown in color, that I can't easily describe - this was another one of the highlights.

Crispy fried chicken with garlic - called "House Special Chicken" at several other restaurants, this was the best version I've had so far in New York, another highlight.

Conch, scallops, and fried tofu stuffed with fish, with Chinese yellow chives, ginger, etc. - this was delicious and the only thing wrong with it was one piece of conch that was just too hard and chewy. Very good dish.

Sauteed lobster with ginger and scallions - good rendition, good lobster meat.

Very cartilaginous, fatty fish with bok choy - I thought this was the only unsuccessful dish. It was hard to eat, the fish didn't have much meat, and I didn't get the point.

Orange flavor beef - best rendition I've had in New York, or at least in ages. Had plenty of whole dried hot peppers, large pieces of tangerine peel, and just tasted great!

Glazed walnut prawns - the usual Hong Kong-style dish with the mayonnaise sauce. People who like the dish said it was a very good rendition, but I hate the mayonnaise sauce and didn't try the dish.

Ong Choy sauteed with garlic - the usual, classic green-vegetable dish.

We also got the same preparation with Gai Lan.

Double Mushroom Mustard Greens - I think I liked this more than many other people did. I like mustard greens and mushrooms.

Fried Rice - excellent rendition. Lots of non-rice substance that tasted great: Shrimps, ham, pork, eggs.

I don't think I'm forgetting anything.

Service was good.

I would encourage any large group of people to inquire about the Chinese-language banquet sets and consider ordering one of them. Do what my brother did: Ask the waiter to explain what dishes are on the menu for the set.

Michael aka "Pan"