• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holy Creations EVOO

deltadoc

I've got a chance to buy a couple of cases of this EVOO. Here is what the flyer says:

Holy Creations Olive Oil

Straight from the Holy Land of Palistine (The Gaza Strip). This is a very unique high quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The olives are hand picked and then carried via mule to be hand pressed via Old World practices. Technology is not available to these farmers - just painstaking hard work. All of this olive oil is Fair Trade, Cold Pressed, and Organic.

The price is about $12 per 500 ml bottle.

Of all I've read about EVOO, I've never heard about EVOO from the Gaza Strip.

Does anyone know how this EVOO measures up to EVOO from Spain or Italy?

It's kind of pricey and from a restaurant supply place with a reputation for outstanding quality gourmet meat and items like this from time to time.

So I'm hoping someone can fill me in on this.

Tx,

doc

do you have any guarantee regarding the heritage? They can write all kinds of stuff in marketing letters, the truth is often a bit less rosy. I'm usually a bit suspicious if things get too far into the "handpicked, carried by mules, processed on centuries old this or that" statements. Not to say that this one is not true of course, and there's no reason that Olive oil can't come from there, there's actually good reason for some really really old trees growing there.

Can you order a sample or return it if you don't like it? Then I'd probably get a sample. It could be very good and if the marketing is true, sure would support something more worthwhile than some mega corporation.

As for how it measures up, only you can decide. If it's true extra virgin olive oil it'll most likely be quite good. But taste 10 different oils and they all have different characters and if they come from smaller operations will vary from year to year also.

Personally I'd be tempted to get some, use it as finishing oil, not for cooking of course. The price is also pretty good I'd say, if the marketing is correct. I pay more in California for Californian estate oil that just had to travel down the road to me.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

do you have any guarantee regarding the heritage?

I decided to order two cases. 12 1/2 L bottles per case. Money back guarantee and I've known this distributor for quite a while. All of his meat, etc. has been top quality.

$5 delivery charge. I figure I can't go wrong. Found out this same oil is selling at the Wedge for $19/bottle, I'm getting it for $12.

doc