• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's up with Charlie Trotter?

spqr

Charlie and Lynn are getting a divorce. I don't think it is of anyone's business as to why or what the settlements are. They are still friends and Lynn is very supportive of the restaurant as well as Charlie.

Don't believe everything you hear or read...

The facts as I know them, Cabrales, with sources:

The Chicago Sun-Times stated, last fall, that Lynn Trotter had filed for divorce on November 5, 2001, citing irreconcilable differences. Lynn's lawyer was quoted as requesting respect for the parties' privacy. There was no discussion nor speculation concerning any settlement or custody terms. The archived entries at www.suntimes.com will bring up the item if you search under 'Charlie Trotter'.

The wine cellar at 816 W. Armitage is valued, in the volume 'Lessons in Service' by Ed Lawler, at one million dollars; I regard his sources at the restaurant as impeccable.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

The James Beard people actually reported in January of this year that Trotter was going to leave the restaurant on account of the divorce. Clearly, this didn't happen.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

FG, Total terribly wrong info in the first place....

He was going to be relinquishing the day to day operations of Charlie Trotters, in Chicago and focus his energies on the opening on the restaurant in London and possibly a new place in NYC...Well, the NYC place fell thru due to what the Ritz wanted to charge for space and control and London is still a go...So he will be spending time between CHi and London as opposed to NYC and London...his pending divorce has had nothing to do with him potentially not staying in Chicago and I am surprised that the James Beard people told you such gossip...

They didn't tell me anything. They published it:

http://www.jamesbeard.org/dateline/2002/01/index.shtml

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

FG, Total terribly wrong info in the first place....

He was going to be relinquishing the day to day operations of Charlie Trotters, in Chicago and focus his energies on the opening on the restaurant in London and possibly a new place in NYC...Well, the NYC place fell thru due to what the Ritz wanted to charge for space and control and London is still a go...So he will be spending time between CHi and London as opposed to NYC and London...his pending divorce has had nothing to do with him potentially not staying in Chicago and I am surprised that the James Beard people told you such gossip...

Relax. Everyone here knowa you are a CT groupie...we're not trying to diminish his talent, just trying to get a grip on his personal life...and if you chooose to be a chef in the 90's...well, you play the media, rightly so, but your personal life does come into play...please, dont' be some Janet Jackson spokepperson. wondering HOW anyone ever cared for her personal life..after spending every moment, and dollar, becoming famous.

Why are you "trying to get a grip on his personal life"?

I may be a huge fan of Charlie and his cuisine and his restaurant but I wouldnt categorize myself as a groupie....well maybe...I have eaten there more than 80 times...

Charlie is a friend of mine and my wife as well as a client of mine...I do know some things...

"The James Beard people actually reported in January of this year that Trotter was going to leave the restaurant on account of the divorce. Clearly, this didn't happen."

FG, as you read the article your link provided...which I have seen... simply states that, at the time, he may plan on leaving the restaurant, but the article does not give a reason why...the article, as a note, mentions he is getting divorced but it does not imply that is the reason he is leaving...you just assumed that...

What TV show was it that John Scott Trotter was the music director? (If I could remember the answer, I would give the first correct poster a dinner for two at his son's restaurant. "You Bet Your Life" sticks in my mind, but I don't think it had a lot of music requirements.)

Ah, sorry, you were asking about that new-fangled TV stuff. I think Trotter may have been with Bing Crosby on the radio.

Umm...actually, John Scott Trotter the composer wasn't Charlie the chef's father; that was, I recall reading, Bob Trotter, who owned his own HR/recruitment firm and went in as a partner (and cosigner/source of capital) when Charlie set up to rehab the Armitage Avenue property into a restaurant.

The rest, as they say, is history.

:cool:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I believe the Beard article states, "Rumors are swirling that CT plans on leaving his namesake restaurant" not that he IS leaving...

In either case, the release was irresponsible reporting, using "rumors are swirling" as an out to say anything that they wanted without verifying it first. Given the relationship that exists between The Beard Foundation and Charlie Trotter's a simple telephone call prior to posting that release would have, and should have, been in order. It's the least that they could have done.

Some of the points reported in the article that Lady T referenced to Cabrales are also incredibly irresponsible and untrue.

spgr - don't you think asking for the restaurant's wine cellar as a settlement sounds a little ridiculous? Wow, if you believe things like that, I own some land in Florida that I am interested in selling.