• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mangal 2 in stoke newington road

Mangal 2 is one of my favourites, and tonight was no exception.

For starters, we had unbelievably hot and fresh bread, really the same as Turkish pide. We were also given huge platters of olives, warak inab like things, the best taramasalata I've ever had, hummus, potato salad, cous cous and pickles. Then the meat came. Oh my god. I've never eaten lamb chops so tender, meltingly so, or rice and chunks of meat that are so addictive.

To make it even more interesting, Gilbert and George were seated at the table next to us! They looked quite sweet in their suits. Apparently they go there every night: "They have dinner in the same Kurdish restaurant in Dalston at the same time every night. Gilbert and George walk there and return by bus or minicab" (from Wikipedia).