• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

that canned seafood that bourdian sampled in spain

I cant find the name of that lovely canned seafood from northen spain that appeared on tonys show no reservations.

i believe he said it was about 230 euros a can.... but where to get it?

the name begins with an E. does anyone have any information on this? and can it be ordered?

thanx

I cant find the name of that lovely canned seafood from northen spain that appeared on tonys show no reservations.

i believe he said it was about 230 euros a can.... but where to get it?

the name begins with an E.  does anyone have any information on this? and can it be ordered?

thanx

Could it have been Espinaler?

No idea how to order, but there is an email espinaler@espinaler.es

• 3 months later...

I just saw the clip, broadway got the brand right, it's Espinaler.

The clip doesn't make it completely clear that what they are eating actually is what cost $250 (156Euros) but what the lady ordered was "almejas de las 'top, top'"

And this does loosely correspond to this price list

http://www.espinaler.es/productos/lista_productos.asp

The almejas (clams) in discussion were the fattest "almejas blancas" white clams, also called "almejas babosas*", which are indigenous to Galicia. Currently retailing for 129Euros for 20. Smaller almejas blancas can be had for much less than this. I assume from the price tag that there aren't enough of these delicacies to satisfy the demand.

I don't know where you can get Espinaler products out of Spain, but if you can order online from www.tienda.com then you might want to try the shellfish from

http://www.peperetes.com/peperetes.html

My advice is to start with the mejillones en escabeche (these were the velvety orange mussels that featured prominently in the Bourdain program) and go on from there.

* from the name I suspect they blow lots of bubbles and 'mucus'

Edited by MoGa (log)