• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capsouto Freres

markk

Fresh on the heels of our post-theater disaster at La Luncheonette, we decided to be brave and try another French restaurant unknown to us, Capsouto Freres, in Tribeca, after reading many good things about it (and in many of the same places that misled us to believe that La Luncheonette would be a "find").

Only this time we were in for a surprise, and a treat.

It's a beautiful old dining room right near the Holland Tunnel in Tribeca:

gallery_11181_6297_70051.jpg

It was anything but full when we went late, but in truth, no restaurants have been full lately (at Insieme, there were only 2 other people eating there) and that made me a little uneasy to start.

But the wine list featured not only a reasonably priced Alsace Pinot Blanc ("Jean Rosen", which is pretty much the Paul Blanck product marketed under a different label) but an extremely delicious one - at $27.

Then came the test, the terrine of foie gras:

gallery_11181_6297_3939.jpg

and it was quite a delicious foie gras at that. It wasn't as good as the one we just had at Blue Ribbon, but it was significantly better than the foie gras offered as a starter at Benoit.

My partner chose the duck confit, and although I would have been shocked if it had come to me with a sauce on it like this, I am told that it was delicious, and the shiny bare bone that was left told me that it was thoroughly enjoyed:

gallery_11181_6297_89049.jpg

I opted for the "Sauteed Sweetbreads with Mushroom Fricasee", and found it thoroughly enjoyable:

gallery_11181_6297_83372.jpg

And dessert was a very top-notch Tarte Tatin:

gallery_11181_6297_54563.jpg

A most delicious (and almost ridiculously reasonable) meal, and a real find!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's