• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tia Maria VS Kahlua

Danne

A couple of days ago I realized that my liquor-cabinet was to big so I started reducing it. I've taken out a lot of flavored vodkas and other sweet liqueurs and saved my whisk(e)y, gin, rum and bitters.

I like coffeeliqueurs, but i don't think i need 5 different brands. The unknown ones are gone, and I'm left with Kahlua, Kahlua especial and Tia Maria. The especial is not sold here so that one I'm keeping, but I can't decide the other two.. I started searching for some facts about them which only made me confused...

Kahlua is from mexico made with rum (some places whrites rum other vodka) and mexican coffee?

The especial is less sweet, stronger and made with arabic coffee?

Tia maria is with blue mountain coffee rum (or vodka.......) and comes from jamaica?

Anyone knows for sure about the basespirit? Any advantage for either one of the liqueurs?

I can't tell you the technical differences between the three, but I'll say this: Kahlua Especial is so much better than regular Kahlua (for all the reasons you mention) that I cannot see any reason to keep both. I've never actually tried Tia Maria, so I can't speak to that one.

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

I can't tell you the technical differences between the three, but I'll say this:  Kahlua Especial is so much better than regular Kahlua (for all the reasons you mention) that I cannot see any reason to keep both.  I've never actually tried Tia Maria, so I can't speak to that one.

Yes, I would do that if it was sold here, I know it's standard in the US but it's only available in some airports in Europe. Trying to save the Especial.. can't get any more of it atm.

A couple of days ago I realized that my liquor-cabinet was to big so I started reducing it.  I've taken out a lot of flavored vodkas and other sweet liqueurs and saved my whisk(e)y, gin, rum and bitters.

I tackled the very same problem this past weekend, however my approach was somewhat different. I built another liquor shelf behind my bar. :blush:

On the subject of Tia Maria, I found an open bottle a week ago that I've had forever. Does it go bad?

I recently discarded a very old (something like 30 yrs) bottle of Tia Maria, but only because the cork stopper started to crumble and bits were falling into the bottle. Otherwise, having tasted it while the cork was still intact, it seemed fine.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

I'd finish both and buy a bottle of the Starbucks coffee liqueur instead. Tastes much more like coffee (espresso actually) and is a tad less sweet, which is a good thing for most drinks you'd be using it in. If for some reason it isn't sweet enough for you, you could always add some simple syrup or sugar to the drink and shake the hell out of it.

There's an Italian coffee liqueur whose name is currently escaping me that's also very good. I'll try and get the name of it from my sales rep and report back. I had a sample bottle of it a while back and I remember thinking to myself it was more flavorful than Kahlua and would be a better substitute.

To me it isn't about whether the brand is "known" or not, it's about how it tastes, both in a commercial environment like where I'm stocking the bar, or for my home liquor cabinet. In a commercial environment I'm forced to have brand names that would be requested, and even then I have limited shelf space and have to make choices. I'll always choose the better tasting brand. To me, the purer the taste of the ingredient in the drink the better. If I'm making a cocktail that calls for both coffee flavored liqueur and rum, I'd rather use the Starbucks and the best rum I have for that application (amber, dark, aged, uanaged, spiced, etc.), not a rum-based coffee liqueur. Unless you really think the Kahlua, or Tia Maria or Kamora or Caffe Lolita tastes best (and to my taste I find all of those too sweet) then don't stock it. Try different ones and find the one that pleases you most. Buy the mini or half sized bottles if you don't want to commit. Or go to a bar that has both and order two shots and do a side by side taste test. You might be surprised. Stock your bar with what tastes good to YOU. Especially at home, your guests will get over it. They get over it at a bar as well, and often leave with a bit more knowledge and a new favorite.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I bow to your greater knowledge, Katie, but I've always preferred Tia Maria. This is probably a childhood thing: a bottle of Tia and a pot of coffee ended my parents' dinner parties so very festively.

Kahlua always seemed a tad sweeter.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Maggie:

And I bow to your personal preference. That's kind of what I was trying to say, although it seems it didn't come across that way. Although I get paid to do this for a living, my palate isn't everyone's. I've just tried more things across the board usually <hic> :wink: . Most people try one or two things and always either order at a bar or purchase the same things over and over. My feeling is there's a whole world of stuff out there and you might surprise yourself by finding you really like something different than what you're accustomed to. Sometimes, if you're lucky, it's even more cost effective. Sentimental feelings are different. If your parents always drank Tia Maria and drinking that reminds you of them, nothing can possibly replace that - in your heart or your glass. I'm a bit more dispassionate when stocking a bar because I have to be. Cost, limits on shelf space, brand recognition, availability/ease of ordering are all factors I have to take into account. But I also see part of my job as trying to convince people to broaden their horizons a bit and try new things. The inveterate Tanqueray and tonic drinker might be surprised to find that they like some of the newer gins like Bluecoat or Hendricks even more. Or perhaps they've never tried Plymouth gin, which is just as old but a different style. A die hard Captain and Coke person might enjoy Sailor Jerry's more molasses like flavors and spicing better. And some of the newer entries into the liqueurs market are decidedly more flavorful and less sweet than their older and perhaps better known counterparts. The classic cocktail revolution is dialing away from the sweeter drinks of yesterday and going more for balanced flavors. And that's a good thing. And undoubtedly a whole different discussion...

On a separate note: the Italian coffee liqueur I was trying to think of is Borghetti Caffe Espresso. I found the bottle I thought I'd finished with just a wee bit left in it. I'll have to make something with it this week. There's just a couple of shots left and I need to clear out the liquor cabinet a bit myself.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'd finish both and buy a bottle of the Starbucks coffee liqueur instead.

As noted, there's clearly a lot of room for personal taste to play a part here, but I'll just note that unless you enjoy Starbuck's coffee, with it's extremely roasted, almost-but-not-quite-burnt flavor, you may or may not care for the Starbuck's liqueur, which has the exact same quality. In a way, it tastes more like coffee tastes (broadly), while the more traditionaly ones taste more like coffee smells, which is of course the best part of coffee :raz:. It's certainly different, but at any rate I think one can safely give their cream liqueur a pass.

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Thanks for the info Katie!

The Starbucks isn't available here, but the Borgetti is! It actually came to our monopoly last month and I've been interested since then. Maybe I'll take your suggestion and replace them with the Italian one. I'm also a big fan of the Heering coffee.. maybe I'll have to compare all four of them. I also found a couple other coffeeliqueurs that I want to try.... damnit soon my collection will be to big again.

Guess I was a little unclear in the first post (English isn't my main language). I was wondering if it's any idea of keeping them both.. Anyone knows some drinks that call for anyone of the brands? and what about the base spirit? Maybe it's just easier to mail the different brands, hehe.

Danne:

The Starbucks and the Borghetti are fairly interchangeable, as they both have more of an espresso quality to them and seem a tad less sweet to me than Kahlua or Tia Maria. So one or the other will do. Try and find a bar that's well stocked and has several of them and do a side by side taste test. It's the best way to really analyze the subtle differences in flavor and find your favorite. The Borghetti is pretty reasonably priced too, which is nice.

thirtyoneknots, I'm not so sure I get that overroasted burnt edge from the Starbucks liqueur the same way I do in their coffee. I just like that it's more espresso like and less sweet. I definitely don't like that flavor in their coffee and rarely patronize them unless it's the only thing at the rest stop on a long drive. I'll drink Wawa or Dunkin Donuts coffee long before Starbucks. Haven't tried the cream liqueur, but I'm not usually a fan of creamy things like that (one exception: Voyant Chai creme liqueur is delish!) so I doubt I'm missing anything.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!