• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Au Gout Dujour & la Veraison, Paris 15e

pierre45

In today"s financial turmoil , its nice to sit down at the end of the day and have an enjoyable meal at bargain prices.

AU BON GOUT DUJOUR is a few hundred feet away from the seine river in the beaugrenelle neighborhood of the 15e.ITs a new restaurant and the chef

Mr Du jour has worked all over the world,including New york.The daily menu is based on the market .He said he is on the look out for the best ingredients.Its traditional based modern cuisine.I started with wild mushroom rissoto ,which was deliceous and had magret de canard with mashed potatoe that was very tasty.Dessert, riz au lait ,sprinkled with cacao chips was yummy.DEcent wine in a carafe at 7 euros made this place a true bargain,taking into account that the cost of the 3 course dinner was 25 euros.

LA VERAISON.Tucked away in a non touristy part of paris ,its a restaurant that reflects the owner ,an ex ingineer who loves to cook.Consequently 1/3 of the restaurant is taken over by his open work space ,where he cooks in the open.Its mostly grilling and a la plancha.

I started with sauteed wild mushroom and ended with veal chops with fries.Its simple food that sticks to the ribs with an interesting choice of wines a la ficelle.

It was also quite reasonable around 32 euros for 3 courses.

In today"s financial turmoil , its nice to sit down at the end of the day and have an enjoyable meal at bargain prices.

AU BON GOUT DUJOUR is a few hundred feet away from the seine river in the beaugrenelle neighborhood of the 15e.ITs a new restaurant and the chef

Mr Du jour has worked all over the world,including New york.The daily menu is based on the market .He said he is on the look out for the best ingredients.Its traditional based modern cuisine.I started with wild mushroom rissoto ,which was deliceous and had magret de canard with mashed potatoe that was very tasty.Dessert, riz au lait ,sprinkled with cacao chips was yummy.DEcent wine in a carafe at 7 euros made this place a true bargain,taking into account that the cost of the 3 course dinner was 25 euros.

LA VERAISON.Tucked away in a non touristy part of paris ,its a restaurant that reflects the owner ,an ex ingineer who loves to cook.Consequently 1/3 of the restaurant is taken over by his open work space ,where he cooks in the open.Its mostly grilling and a la plancha.

I started with sauteed wild mushroom and ended with veal chops with fries.Its simple food that sticks to the ribs with an interesting choice of wines a la ficelle.

It was also quite reasonable around 32 euros for 3 courses.

Pierre my friend, you have yet again discovered a place before the big boys; congratulations! Wine at 7 E will surely entice a few of our convives.

And Versaison's chef is a delight; I ranked him above Gordon @#$%^&*@# Ramsey, just below Hide Kobayashi.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

We just lunched at La Véraison and were in complete harmony with Pierre's assessment, but can't quite elevate the chef to Gordan Ramsey status. If anyone would like to see a pictorial, all you have to do is ask.

Yes please! I always love photos and think they definitely add to posts. My "to try" list is often inspired by some of the photos on eG.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

O.K. Felice, since you asked.

La Véraison, 64 Croix Nivert in the 15th, is quite worth a visit, not for the decor which as you see here is minimalist

IMG_23LaVraison492.jpg

but the value is very good; sorry about the glare on the chalkboard.

IMG_23LaVraison49.jpg

Ms.L. and I had 3 appetizers, 1 main course, a dessert and a cheese course along with a bottle of Cairanne, a noisette and a double café serré and escaped for under €100.

The velouté of choux fleur with generous shavings of foie gras was a pleasant start

IMG_23LaVraison491.jpg

followed by the high light of the meal for me, fresh sardines, butterflied and grilled. Ms.L. took a tiny nibble and declared them sardines, which are low on her personal taste parade...I could have enjoyed another order.

IMG_23LaVraison493.jpg

However she was very happy with her Gambas grilled with a touch of ginger

IMG_23LaVraison497.jpg

and cleaned her plate in a lady-like fashion as she also did with the St. Jacques

IMG_23LaVraison495.jpg

I had the confit de canard, not very exciting, nor meant to be, but with a nicely crisped up exterior and a meltingly delicious interior, it was spot on for a chilly, drizzly day. The mashed potatoes were not quite Robuchonesque but good.

IMG_23LaVraison496.jpg

My delicate little dining partner thought highly of her creme brulé and even higher of the accompanying chocolate terrine

IMG_23LaVraison498.jpg

I finished with a trio of cheeses and an additional glass of red.

IMG_23LaVraison499.jpg

I think the eGullet bistro beacon, John Whiting, would enjoy this place.

• 1 month later...

Based on recommendations here I tried Au Gout Dujour last night with three friends (one a charming but slightly antsy 9 year old). We enjoyed our meal, though it perhaps didn't come up to others at similar price points (136 for 3 menus, 2 aperos, 1 bottle wine + 1 entree and rice for the kid) e.g. Bon Acceuil. I particularly enjoyed some incredibly succulent scallops, and the Coteaux d'Aix was really delicious; on the other hand the intense chocolate cake was more like a hard brownie, not quite successful.

But what concerned me was the empty room and a slightly sad feeling. The food wasn't quite what I expected from reports here, perhaps lacking a touch of enthusiasm in the execution? Maybe it was the day of the week, the chilly weather, but the place was only 1/4 full by 9:30. Last Weds. they had a 35 euro 5-course degustation -- they're trying hard but maybe in this economy that's not enough. The neighborhood seems right for this kind of restaurant but maybe it's one of those jinxed locations. My stake is low because I'm rarely in that neighborhood when I visit Paris, but I hate to see a lovely and sympa place fail.

Or maybe I simply haven't been there at the right time. Comments?

Edited by Chanterelle (log)
Looking for the next delicious new taste...

But what concerned me was the empty room and a slightly sad feeling.    Comments?

We've got another topic running on the economy but I agree, it's a bit scary to eat at a place uniformly well-reviewed and well-received and see it 1/2, 1/3, etc., full.

On the other hand, as I've also pointed out, I've been places where the line went out into the street.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

We noticed that the only nights places were really full were Thursday and Friday (we were not in Paris for a Saturday night meal).

MOndays, most restaurants are not busy ,even in good times.That's one of the reasons many close on mondays.