• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michy's vs. Boulud

Wesley1

Im going to be in Boca Raton for a night and can drive to either of these restaurants, i was wondering which everyone prefers.

Thanks, Wes

Being a Miami guy, I've eaten at Michy's much more often than Cafe Boulud but have been there a couple times as well. Very different places in many different respects, not the least of which (as I suspect you know) that they are in completely opposite directions from Boca Raton.

Michy's is a fairly casual place with quirky kitschy decoration (some think the white-painted furnishings with bright blue and orange patterned materials and 70's chandeliers are godawful, I get a kick out of it). The menu, which changes often, focuses mostly on small-dish type items, with almost everything on the menu available in 1/2 portions. There are several dishes I've had there that are real standouts - an excellent white gazpacho, the braised short ribs, pretty much anything she does with sweetbreads (she often changes the prep), pork belly & clams. On the other hand, I've had a few duds as well, sometimes in conception, less often in execution. I enjoy being able to put together a few different 1/2 portions to have a tapas or DIY tasting menu style of meal. To me it's a great neighborhood place, but of course that's partly b/c it's right in my neighborhood.

Boulud is much more of a fine-dining experience - not over-the-top or stiff by any means, but a good bit more formal than Michy's. They've done a very nice job with the restaurant space there, with everything (artwork, table linens, plates, etc.) coordinated in an orange/gold mediterranean look. When I last had a dinner there (a couple years ago) the menu was divided, somewhat confusingly, into a few different "themes" - traditional, global, seasonal ... from the current online menu it looks like they have simplified (and perhaps "dumbed down") the menu a bit. The execution and quality of everything I had was outstanding (true also of a more recent brunch visit) but nothing particularly stands out in memory as a "I must come back for this" type of dish.

I suspect the level and consistency of execution that you'll find at Cafe Boulud may be higher than that at Michy's; on the other hand, Michy's may be a more fun, less fussy meal. I anticipate either will be quite good. Hope this helps.

I've never been to Michy's. Have been to Cafe Boulud a couple of times (and liked it). But the most important thing is that being in Boca - you are asking for a big headache trying to drive to Miami or Palm Beach for dinner because the traffic is horrible. You will spend more time driving than eating. I recommend trying to find a dinner place which is closer to where you'll be staying. Robyn

I've never been to Michy's.  Have been to Cafe Boulud a couple of times (and liked it).  But the most important thing is that being in Boca - you are asking for a big headache trying to drive to Miami or Palm Beach for dinner because the traffic is horrible.  You will spend more time driving than eating.  I recommend trying to find a dinner place which is closer to where you'll be staying.  Robyn

I ended up going to michy's. It was unbelievable. And i have to say there was little to no traffic anytime i was driving.

I ended up going to michy's. It was unbelievable. And i have to say there was little to no traffic anytime i was driving.

Glad to hear it - other than rush hours, the traffic really isn't so atrocious, though I wouldn't make a habit of commuting back and forth to Boca Raton.

We were just at Michy's this weekend and had a very good meal (as we pretty much always do). The sweetbreads are now being done in a nice sort of orange-fennel gastrique studded with bacon and capers; pork belly got a sweet chili glaze w/ thinly sliced apple; the tuna tartare was really popping with layers of soy and fresh ginger flavor; miso-glazed brussels sprouts w/ bacon were pretty good (bacon seemed to be our theme of the evening); a few other regular items (bibb lettuce salad w/ fried shallots and serrano-ranch dressing, polenta w/ truffled egg, baked alaska) were as good as always. Was also quite happy that some roasted marrow bones I'd had as a special on last visit (interestingly, split lengthwise rather than crosswise, and topped w/ a pear gremolata) were on offer again, though I exercised some caution and decided not to do marrow, sweetbreads and pork belly in one sitting.