• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Speaking of Molecular Gastronomy

Heston, have you ever felt that speaking of "molecular gastronomy" might be a little, well, off-putting? Were there other phrases you had considered to describe your interest in this aspect of cuisine?

By the way, I don't know how much you actually have to do with the design of your web site, but congratulations. I first encountered it several months ago and have re-visited it many times. I have found your comments there very useful.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I totally agree with you; Molecular gastronomy does not make itself sound like the most user-friendly approach to cooking but I think that this is largely to do with he fact that it is still, to a certain extent a new term.

With continued work on this subject and more stuff about it in print, I hope that that this barrier will begin to disappear.

Over the last couple of years, I have thought heavily about this and cannot come up with a better description that is as short as this.

This does not cover the whole aspect of my cooking. It is still founded on classical French cuisine but the real drive for me is the psychology of flavour and perception of taste.

So, I need to come up with a description that combines these three things;

Any suggestions?

Heston Blumenthal

The Fat Duck

The Fat Duck website