• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FAWA - Valley Road in Montclair

Susan

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering if anyone has tried this new restaurant that opened on Valley Road in Montclair. Walked by yesterday.  It looks nice.

We ate there last Friday night - it is a beautiful place, and the food and service are terrific. :biggrin:

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"

- George Carlin

I was in the neighborhood today, and 2 women were handing out menus to drivers & pedestrians & I snagged one. The menu is mostly sushi, rolls, teriyaki and other things you would expect on a Japanese restaurant menu, but they have several unexpected items, such as Jalapeno appetizer, Tropical Lobster with pineapple, mango, kiwi, cucumber with green curry sauce. They have vegetarian options, and ones for people who prefer their seafood cooked. For those who prefer food other than seafood, they have steak, chicken, duck, veal, and lamb dishes.

Had I not had my heart set on Stamna, I would have circled back to eat. Next time.

Fawa, French Asian Fusion & Sushi Bar

605 Valley Rd.

Upper Montclair, NJ 07043

fax 973.233.1788

Reservation Suggested

Hours:

Lunch: Mon-Sat 11:30am - 3:00pm

Dinner: Mon-Thurs 4:30pm - 10:00 pm, Fri & Sat 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Sun 12:30pm-9:30pm

A friend and I had lunch there today and enjoyed it very much. We ordered the special appetizer (crab leg "pizza") and Shumai and they were both excellent. The pizza was about 8" and cut into 6 wedges. It had a number of tasty garnishes and was really delicious. The dumplings were also done to perfection. We both had the Sashimi lunch which came with soup and salad. The sashimi was served over shaved ice and was very tasty. The presentation was really unique. As RudeBuddha mentioned, the restaurant is really attractive and the service is very good. They opened August 8th and have a lot of interesting things on the menu.

It's directly across from Dai Kichi which is another favorite of ours. We felt a little guilty looking out the large glass windows at Dai Kichi's entrance. My kids had dinner there last week and the owner was commenting about the negative impact that FAWA was having on his business. I remember him telling me a number of years ago that in Japan it was impolite to open a new restaurant in close proximity to another established restaurant. Obviously, that tradition didn't transfer to Montclair - there are a ton of Japanese restaurants in the area.