• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zhuang Preserved Lemons

A few days ago, I was given a lovely gift. A big jar of preserved lemons.

I know Moroccan preserved lemons, but had never met Chinese ones. In fact, apart from in the south, in many parts of China it isn't that easy to find lemons, at all.

These are apparently a speciality of the southern Zhuang minority of Wuming County near Nanning. The Zhuang people are the largest ethnic minority in China and most live in Guangxi. These preserved lemons feature in their diet and are usually eaten with congee (rice porridge). Lemon Duck is a local speciality and they are also served with fish. They can be served as a relish, too. They are related to the Vietnamese Chanh muối.

I'm told that these particular lemons have been soaking in salt and lemon juice for eleven years!

gallery_18452_4181_5316.jpg

gallery_18452_4181_5489.jpg

So, of course, you want to know what they taste like. Incredibly lemony. Concentrated lemonness. Sour, but not unpleasantly so. Also a sort of smoky flavour.

The following was provided by my dear friend 马芬洲 (Ma Fen Zhou) who is herself Zhuang. It is posted with her permission.

How to Make Zhuang Preserved Lemons

By 马芬洲

Zhuang preserved lemons is a kind of common food for the southern Zhuang ethnic minority who live around Nanning Prefecture of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region in China. The Zhuang people like to make it as a relish for eating with congee or congee with corn powder. This relish is a mixture of chopped preserved lemons, red chilli and garlic or ginger slice in soy sauce and peanut oil or sesame oil.

gallery_18452_4181_22946.jpg

Sometimes the Zhuang people use preserved lemons as an ingredient in cooking. The most famous Zhuang food in Guangxi is Lemon Duck, which is a common home cooked dish in Wuming County, which belongs to Nanning Prefecture.

The following steps show you how to make Zhuang preserved lemons.

Step 1 Shopping

Buy some green lemons.

Step 2 Cleaning

Wash green lemons.

Step 3 Sunning

Leave green lemons under the sunshine till it gets dry.

Step 4 Salting

If you salt 5kg green lemons, mix 0.25kg salt with green lemons. Keep the salted green lemons in a transparent jar. The jar must be well sealed. Leave the jar under the sunshine till the salted green lemons turn yellow. For example, leave it on the balcony. Maybe it will take months to wait for those salted green lemons to turn yellow. Later, get the jar of salted yellow lemons back. Unseal the jar. Then cover 1kg salt over the salted yellow lemons. Seal well the jar again.

Step 5 Preserving

Keep the sealed jar of salted yellow lemons at least 3 years. And the colour of salted yellow lemons will turn brown day by day. It can be dark brown later. The longer you keep preserved lemons, the better taste it is. If you eat it earlier than 2 years, it will taste bitter. After 3 years, it can be unsealed. Please use clean chopsticks to pick it. Don’t use oily chopsticks, or the oil will make preserved lemons go bad. Remember to seal the jar well after picking preserved lemons every time.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I've eaten one in the relish described. I'm now trying to extract the "secret" recipe for the Lemon Duck from my Zhuang friend's grandmother. Sweet-talking her failed. Bribes failed. Guess we're going to have to torture her. :unsure:

I will post it if I ever get it.

• 1 month later...

At the weekend, I finally set off in search of the fabled Nanning preserved lemon duck. Cunningly, I went to Nanning where I called my aforementioned Zhuang friend who called an ex-high school classmate whose grandfather happened to be the founder of Nanning's first preserved lemon duck restaurant.

Well, he didn't found a preserved lemon duck restaurant, but he did open a hole in the wall, two table restaurant. Later, his daughter, introduced lemon duck to the menu and the place really took off. Today, they have seven outlets throughout Nanning and they ain't hole in the wall. This is the one I ate at.

gallery_18452_6223_10722.jpg

We were ushered into this elegantly decorated private room and were served tea as we waited for our guests.

gallery_18452_6223_228420.jpg

Finally, we ordered food for five people (including grandson) and were served:

gallery_18452_6223_27626.jpg

Duck's Blood and Chinese Chive Soup

gallery_18452_6223_35453.jpg

This was described on the menu as "A Little Red". It is mixed "wild" vegetables with preserved eggs. I'm told the "wild" vegetable is grown in greenhouses.

gallery_18452_6223_7777.jpg

Shui Jiao. (Dumplings in Soup)

gallery_18452_6223_47114.jpg

"Old Mother's Fish" (Steamed Bass)

gallery_18452_6223_9933.jpg

Papaya and Red Clams

gallery_18452_6223_47933.jpg

And, of course, the star of the show - Preserved Lemon Duck.

Everything was excellent, but it's the duck I came for. It was sensational. They offered a choice of three different breeds of duck, but grandson recommended the cheapest - Pekin Duck - the same beast traditionally used for Peking Duck.

The dish is duck, infused with the scent and flavor of lemon, but a deep rich flavor. The lemon is so obvious but never overwhelmed the duckiness. Apart from the duck and preserved lemons, identifiable ingredients were ginger and whole garlic cloves.

So it was time to interrogate grandson (who admitted that he had eaten this dish almost every day of his 24 years and never tires of it.) How to make it!

He carefully explained the process.

Take a duck. Stuff it with the ingredients.

"What ingredients?"

The ingredients for the duck.

Then roast the duck with the ingredients. There are many ingredients.

Cook the preserved lemons separately with the ingredients for preserved lemons.

Chop the duck into small pieces and add the lemon at the last minute.

Serve.

Ingredients?

Yes, many ingredients.

I was clearly getting nowhere!

He did later point out that it is difficult for them to expand much more as there is a shortage of "ingredients" and that it takes an absolute minimum of three months to make the preserved lemons.

I understand their reluctance to give away their "secret" to passing foreigners (or anyone else.) They are not the only lemon duck restaurant in Nanning, but the were the originals and are regarded still as the best. I will be back.

P.S. When we asked for the bill, we were told it had been "lost". Grandson had cancelled it!

From memory the duck was ¥20 (about $3 US, £1.60, €2). Other dishes were. around the ¥18-25 mark. Very reasonable.

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)

liuzhou -- sounds like the restaurant grandson is related to your Zhuang friend's Grandmother!! I bet if either DID give you a recipe, they would leave out a couple of key ingredients! LOL!

Liuzhou,

Hah! :laugh:

Reminds me of a shopping experience I had in a Thai supermarket once. I found a utensil for sale I not only couldn't identify, I couldn't even conceive of its use.

"What is this?"

"It's eight dollars."

[pause. wait for friends to stop snickering.]

"What's it used for?"

"It's for cooking."

[longer pause]

"Fine, I'll take it."

We christened it "Mr. Thingy" and I think it ended up being someone's wedding present.

The Fuzzy Chef

www.fuzzychef.org

Think globally, eat globally

San Francisco

• 2 months later...

I came across this recipe in Chinese. Unfortunately, it doesn't give quantities for the ingredients, but it gives enough information for me to experiment with.

Here is my loose translation.

"Lemon duck is Wuming County's characteristic dish. The cooking method is to take a slaughtered, cleaned duck and cut it into pieces and stir fry until cooked medium rare then add slivers of pickled chilli pepper, pickled mustard, pickled ginger, pickled lemon, smoked plum, ginger and mashed garlic. Simmer together till the duck is nearly well done, add salted beans, sesame oil and cooked till well done and then remove from pan. Its taste is sour and peppery together, with delicious flavour and is extremely appetising."

As Jo-mel said, there is probably a key ingredient or two missing.

Edited by liuzhou
formatting (log)

My girlfriend's mother always gives her a couple of jars of these to take home to me whenever they get a chance. Her father makes lots of sour dipping sauces for his poultry dishes, a custom he claims is unique to his style of Zhuang cooking.

Zhuang cooking is basically absent from cooking discussions in China, but I think what they do with poultry deserves recognition...also for kourou 扣肉. If you're in Nanning, go to the printing street behind the giant discount clothing mall downtown. At the end of the street, at the corner, is small 老友粉店 that has good noodles, but possibly the best kourou in all of Guangxi Province. Served on sticky rice with a little sweet Chinese sausage 香肠 cooked into it, and just a touch of the kourou sauce poured over the whole thing. Absolute country comfort fillin' food, Zhuang-style.

Kou rou isn't Zhuang, though. It originated among the Hakka people.

The Guangxi version is slightly different in that the slices of pork belly are interleaved with slices of taro, whereas the original uses mustard greens.

Personally, I can't stand the stuff. Too fatty for me. Although, I may steal the odd piece of taro, seriously annoying mother-in-law who insists that you must eat the pork and the taro together.

By the way, she will severely disagree with you that the Nanning place does the best in Guangxi. As the whole world knows - she does! :rolleyes:

Edited by liuzhou (log)

• 2 years later...

"Mr. Thingy"! I have a drawer with a bunch of things I can't figure out what they're supposed to be for. Torture equipment? Medieval dentistry tools? Who knows.

I was wondering whether the preserved lemons you're talking about are at all like Hakka salted limes. I talked about them on my blog earlier this year and have a recipe there, and would be fascinated to know if they are in any way similar in taste and texture. The Hakka recipe calls for calamondins instead of lemons, so they cure pretty quickly and don't need to be sunned. However, they do turn a dark brown and taste delicious.

Thanks!

(So envious of that trip to Nanning...)

http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/2011/01/hakka-salted-limes.html

www.carolynjphillips.blogspot.com

I was wondering whether the preserved lemons you're talking about are at all like Hakka salted limes. I talked about them on my blog earlier this year and have a recipe there, and would be fascinated to know if they are in any way similar in taste and texture. The Hakka recipe calls for calamondins instead of lemons, so they cure pretty quickly and don't need to be sunned.

Are calamondins the same thing as kalamansi limes? They are so delicious! My brother's housemate is filipino and he brought back a load from his last visit.

Incidentally, the preserved lemons in this thread look delicious. Rather like lemon/lime pickle actually!

@The Fuzzy and C J Phillips: We have several "What the heck is this thing" threads, and Andisenji is our guru. If you'll take pictures of the "stuff" (technical term, that) and post them, you might be surprised at what you'll find out! :smile:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I was wondering whether the preserved lemons you're talking about are at all like Hakka salted limes.

Yes, sort of similar.

However, I have found that the Zhuang ones have a much deeper lemon flavor and are less salty.

No extra salt is added when I remove one, as you describe.

Coincidentally, last night I had one of the batch in my first post. Now 12 years old and getting better.

• 11 months later...

I am really glad I found this post. I made Moroccan Preserved Lemons at least 10 years ago and they have turned black and look just like the ones in the post. I don't know why they turned black--I thought that maybe all the acid from my canning jars corroded the lid and interacted with the metal somehow. However, I have continued to use them anyway and so far no one from my family has gotten food poisoning, LOL, so I assume they are OK. I use them in my Lemon & Olive Tagine Recipe. I have an Emile Henry Tagine and they have a recipe for preserved lemons, but they suggest adding vinegar to prevent them from turning black...hmm...however, they cover theirs with salted water, whereas I covered mine with 100% lemon juice (and salt.) So, I guess I'll just keep on using them...

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Following my posting a supermarket bought roast rabbit in the Dinner topic, @Anna N expressed her surprise at my local supermarkets selling such things just like in the west supermarkets sell rotisserie chickens. I promised to photograph the pre-cooked food round these parts.

I can't identify them all, so have fun guessing!

Rabbit

Chicken x 2

Duck

Chicken feet

Duck Feet

Pig's Ear

Pork Intestine Rolls

Stewed River Snails

Stewed Duck Feet (often served with the snails above)

Beef

Pork

Beijing  Duck gets its own counter.

More pre-cooked food to come. Apologies for some bady lit images - I guess the designers didn't figure on nosy foreigners inspecting the goods and disseminating pictures worldwide.
    • By liuzhou
      While there have been other Chinese vegetable topics in the past, few of them were illustrated And some which were have lost those images in various "upgrades".

What I plan to do is photograph every vegetable I see and say what it is, if I know. However, this is a formidable task so it'll take time. The problem is that so many vegetables go under many different Chinese names and English names adopted from one or other Chinese language, too. For example, I know four different words for 'potato' and know there are more. And there are multiple regional preference in nomenclature. Most of what you will see will be vegetables from supermarkets, where I can see the Chinese labelling. In "farmer's" or wet markets, there is no labelling and although, If I ask, different traders will have different names for the same vegetable. Many a time I've been supplied a name, but been unable to find any reference to it from Mr Google or his Chinese counterparts. Or if I find the Chinese, can't find an accepted translation so have to translate literally.

Also, there is the problem that most of the names which are used in the English speaking countries have, for historical reasons, been adopted from Cantonese, whereas 90% of Chinese speak Mandarin (普通话 pǔ tōng huà). But I will do my best to supply as many alternative names as I can find. I shall also attempt to give Chinese names in simplified Chinese characters as used throughout mainland China and then in  traditional Chinese characters,  now mainly only used in Hong Kong, Taiwan and among much of the Chinese diaspora. If I only give one version, that means they are the same in Simp and Trad.

I'll try to do at least one a day. Until I collapse under the weight of vegetation.

Please, if you know any other names for any of these, chip in. Also, please point out any errors of mine.

I'll start with bok choy/choy. This is and alternatives such as  pak choi or pok choi are Anglicised attempts at the Cantonese pronunciation of the Mandarin! However in Cantonese it is more often 紹菜; Jyutping: siu6 coi3. In Chinese it is 白菜. Mandarin Pinyin 'bái cài'. This literally means 'white vegetable' but really just means 'cabbage' and of course there are many forms of cabbage. Merely asking for bái cài in many a Chinese store or restaurant will be met with blank stares and requests to clarify. From here on I'm just going to translate 白菜 as 'cabbage'.

So, here we go.

Brassica rapa subsp. pekinensis

This is what you may be served if you just ask for baicai. Or maybe not. In much of China it is 大白菜 dà bái cài meaning 'big cabbage'. In English, usually known as Napa cabbage, Chinese cabbage, celery cabbage, Chinese leaf, etc.  In Chinese, alternative names include 结球白菜 / 結球白菜 ( jié qiú bái cài ), literally knotted ball cabbage, but there are many more. 

This cabbage is also frequently pickled and becomes  known as 酸菜 (Mand: suān cài; Cant: syun1 coi3) meaning 'sour vegetable', although this term is also used to refer to pickled mustard greens.

Pickled cabbage.

In 2016, a purple variety of napa cabbage was bred in Korea and that has been introduced to China as 紫罗兰白菜 (zǐ luó lán bái cài) - literally 'violet cabbage'.

Purple Napa (Boy Choy)

• By liuzhou
      Yesterday, an old friend sent me a picture of her family dinner, which she prepared. She was never much of a cook, so I was a bit surprised. It's the first I've seen her cook in 25 years. Here is the spread.

I immediately zoomed in on one dish - the okra.

For the first 20-odd years I lived in China, I never saw okra - no one knew what it was. I managed to find its Chinese name ( 秋葵 - qiū kuí) in a scientific dictionary, but that didn't help. I just got the same blank looks.

Then about 3 years ago, it started to creep into a few supermarkets. At first, they stocked the biggest pods they could find - stringy and inedible - but they worked it out eventually. Now okra is everywhere.

I cook okra often, but have never seen it served in China before (had it down the road in Vietnam, though) and there are zero recipes in any of my Chinese language cookbooks. So, I did the sensible thing and asked my friend how she prepared it. Here is her method.

1. First bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the washed okra and boil for two minutes. Drain.

2. Top and tail the pods. Her technique for that is interesting.

3. Finely mince garlic, ginger, red chilli and green onion in equal quantities. Heat oil and pour over the prepared garlic mix. Add a little soy sauce.

4. Place garlic mix over the okra and serve.

When I heard step one, I thought she was merely blanching the vegetable, but she assures me that is all the cooking it gets or needs, but she did say she doesn't like it too soft.

Also, I should have mentioned that she is from Hunan province so the red chilli is inevitable.

Anyway, I plan to make this tomorrow. I'm not convinced, but we'll see.

to be continued

• By missdipsy
      Two of my family members are pescetarian, one of whom is my picky daughter who only likes a few types of fish cooked in very specific ways so to all intents and purposes is mostly vegetarian. Many Chinese soup recipes involve meat or fish, or at least meat broth, so I'd love to find a few more recipes that would suit my whole family (I also don't eat much pork as it doesn't always agree with me, and a lot of soups involve pork so this is also for my benefit!). Vegetarian would be best, or pescetarian soups that are not obviously seafood based (I could get away with sneaking a small amount of dried shrimp in, for instance, but not much more than that!).

Any kind of soup will do, although I'd particularly like some simple recipes that could be served alongside a multi-dish meal. But I'm always interested in new recipes so any good soup recipes would be welcome!

Any suggestions?
    • By Dejah
      Re- thread on "favourite Chinese cookbook": There is much discussion on what is authentic, recipes that are not found in any of today's Chinese cookbooks. Muichoi suggested starting a collection in eGullet. This may be a way for all of us to start actually recording recipes that have been passed down through generations.
      Muichoi requested a recipe for dried bak choi soup. I am sure there are many "recipes" for this favourite. I can recount the different ingredients, but not the amounts - just a bunch of this, a few of those, etc.
      Start your engines, folks, and let's get posting!