• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pummelo

Having bought a pummelo a while back, and finding its aromatics just too good to waste, I dried some rinds (with a bit of pith attached) and tossed them in Everclear. I have started using this extract, undiluted and unadulterated, as a cocktail bitters. All by itself, it is truly spectacular: citrus aromatics galore at the front end and a good dose of pithy bitter flavor -- brilliant in a Maritni.

I have decided to reserve half as-is and try to 'kick it up a notch' with the rest. So, today I added cinnamon, cardamom seeds and a tiny bit each of gentian, clove and Tonka bean. I'll report back on this in a couple weeks. I would, of course, be happy to have any feeback/suggestions from more experienced bitters concocters.

In the meantime, here is tonights experiment. Very nice. No name yet, but I shall have to come up with one.

2 oz. gin (Junípero)

1/2 oz. Italian vermouth (Carpano Antica)

1/2 oz. lime juice

1/4 oz. simple

3 dashes (9 drops) Abbott's bitters (replica, homemade)

1 dash (3 drops) Pummelo extract