• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drews Bayshore Bistro Keyport NJ

Tom D

After visiting Drew's at least a dozen times or so I thought it might be a good idea to write up a review of our meal there last night.

At 8:00 it was packed as usual anthough our server did say the Holiday had cut back the reservation list a bit.

Some nice crusty rolls with butter started things off. There were some specials including an entree of Seafood Gumbo which sounded especially but we finally decided on:

Southwestern Caesar Salad

grilled heart of romaine, roast poblano & tomato salsa

bbq croutons, queso blanco, red chile caesar dressing

We both started with the salad. I especially like the flavors of the dressing combining with the grilled notes of the romaine. Add a little heat in the dressing and you have a mouthful of goodness in every bite.

We moved on to the entrees, we had:

Sautéed Tilapia

pecan & lump crab muneire sauce, smashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables

Shrimp & Grits

gulf shrimp, applewood smoked bacon, mushrooms, tomato, scallions green chile cheese grits

In all my visits I had never had the Tilapia. It was good, a nice sized piece but the overall dish was a touch bland, which was surprising given the ingredient mix. Having said that it was enjoyable.

The wife's entree of Shrimp and Grits was just great. The smokiness of the dish fit perfectly with the grilled shrimp and grits. A real winner which has only been on the menu for a few weeks.

We also split a side order of Garlic Broccoli Rabe with dinner which was perfect with the fish and seafood. Our breath can vouch for it this morning :))

With all of the above we slurped down a very nice 2004 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir.

Too full to consider dessert, we finished off the evening with coffee.

Drews has built up a nice well deserved following. His passion and good nature shows right through to the food he serves.

We always enjoy our visits here and look forward to going back soon.

Tom D