• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Andoni Luis Aduriz to Zaragoza

docsconz

Chef Andoni Luis Aduriz, the highly acclaimed chef of Mugaritz in San Sebastien will be opening another restaurant, this one in the city of Zaragoza in the new five star Hotel Reina Petronila, which will be part of the new Aragonia Complex. It is not clear to me at this time if this will be a restaurant similar in style to Mugaritz or something completely different. Based on the photo, it is clear that the actual opening of this apparently as yet unnamed restaurant will likely be quite some time into the future.

gallery_8158_790_54655.jpg

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I seem to remember from my visit to Mugaritz last year that he already has a number of rstaurants in his stable. Can anyone confirm this?

The only one I have ever heard of so far is Mugaritz. Could you perhaps be thinking of Martin Berasetagui who definitely does have other restaurants besides his eponymous one? If he does, they are quite low on the radar.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I seem to remember from my visit to Mugaritz last year that he already has a number of rstaurants in his stable. Can anyone confirm this?

The only one I have ever heard of so far is Mugaritz. Could you perhaps be thinking of Martin Berasetagui who definitely does have other restaurants besides his eponymous one? If he does, they are quite low on the radar.

You may be right - my recollection is based on the selection of business cards that they had by the front door. I had thought these were related restaurants, but I think one was the Kursaal which is a Berasetagul restaurant. Is there a tie up at all or are they just good freinds?. I must admit my memory is slightly compromised by a very, very long lunch fueled by the excellent sommelier....!

Andoni Luis runs just Mugaritz. And now this new hotel restaurant. Martin Berasategui has: Kursaal, Bodegon Alejandro, Gugghenheim (in Bilbao) and the 3-star original Martin B in Lasarte, plus the Lasarte restaurant in Barcelona (Hotel Condes de Barcelona), each one has a sous-chef under his direction. Andoni Luis worked with Berasategui before setting Mugaritz (and with Adrià for years too).

As an ardent supporter of Andoni Aduriz, we are thrilled with his efforts to extend his great culinary efforts to embrace the city of Zaragoza. This is a strategic move. We think his expertise will be most successful and well received. We hope to speak to him within the next couple of weeks to hear his thinking on this innovative adventure. It is a win/win plan. This large, important city has few great dining destinations, so Andoni's presence is most desirable. We hope his plans are being realized and can be achieved relatively soon. This is his first venture outside of Mugaritz. We wish him the best. Judith Gebhart

The 2008 ranking of the world's 50 best restaurants placed Mugaritz at #4 (up from 7 from last year). I fully agree with this decision....Best meal of my life....I only wish the restaurant weren't so far away from home :(