• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flora

cinghiale

Had dinner here this evening, the latest from the owners of Doña Tomas and Tacubaya. Located in the old Oakland Flower Depot (19th and Telegraph), a gorgeous Deco building, the menu is a departure for this team, with neo-American comfort food the focus, and not a Latin offering in sight. They have a quite respectable cocktail list: I had a Dark and Stormy, and it was properly tart and spicy. Started with a pleasant, well-composed plate of hand-cut paparadelle with rabbit sugo. Others had a "fritto misto" of asparagus and Meyer lemon, a gem salad (baby romaine and butterhead, I think) with beets, and day-boat scallops. For mains, I had roasted chicken breast, small and moist, on below-average mash with pearl onions, pancetta, and morels, while others had halibut and a farro "risotto". Standard dessert offerings. Nice selection of open wines for about $10/glass.

Place was pretty hopping for an early Tuesday dinner. Peeked in at the Uptown Lounge, housed in the same building. Looks like an old-school tavern that doubles as a rock club. One could, given the right level of enthusiasm, make it a night on that corner.