• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Absinthe, Primrose Hill

L’Absinthe, Dinner, 5th April

It’s had a few very good reviews: Independent and Times plus being within walking distance from home made it prime candidate for that elusive thing: cheap local restaurant that service really good food and wine at not rip you off prices.

It has two levels – upstairs look fairly charming – downstairs – where we were put – was a little cramped. You didn’t so much sit at the table but huddle around it. It was a very, very small table. When the wine arrived the best (only?) place to keep it was on the floor.

Bread was shockingly poor – I have no idea what they were thinking serving that up – slices of tepid bread fleetingly passed under a grill. I am sure it wasn’t but it came over as warmed stale bread.

Simple classic menu was fine but nothing that really shouted out; no obvious temptresses. We went for onion soup and french bread with champignons. The soup look Ok was was lacking in depth and a bit too gloopy for my liking. The french bread & champignons was miserably small portion wise. It tasted Ok but the mushrooms were merely sliced button mushroom – no sign of anything wild. It was all gone in a couple of bites.

Mains were the simple steak frites and lamb rump with mash. The medium-to-rare lamb came medium-to-fucked and the frites were pretty cold. Although they very apologetic & brought fresh hot frites.

Dessert was the well regarded tarte tatin – we were genuinely looking forward to this. Oh god, what an awful bastardisation of a dish it was. Barely warm , apples soggy and completely lacking in anything slightly caramely. We complained saying that we thought it was bought in. No, we were assured, it was made earlier that day. We returned it after a mere one bite.

I so wanted this place to be good... please someone else go and tell is was just a bad night

I remember once going to a French bistro in London where my (French) dad knew the owner, and the food that the French patrons and ourselves received was very much different (better!) than that served to those who didn't speak French. More fries, better bread, faster service, wine that doesn't taste like vinegar... Also when I go back over the Channel there is this perception that the English will "eat anything".

Perhaps you have been victim to this? It would be a great shame, but my countrymen are notorious for this kind of thing.

I just spotted things like "Both the blackboard specials and menu are written in English and French" and "All his staff seem to be French. Many of the diners, too."