• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Doing it straight

Florida Jim

Some years ago, I turned on a televised sporting event and, as usual, the National Anthem preceded its start. I am fairly jaded to that song, having heard it hundreds of times, and I usually hit the mute button. But I had tuned in just as Lori Morgan began; she did it straight – no trills, no flourishes, just as it was written. And she did it a cappella. It was very moving and no one has yet done it truer.

That’s what this wine reminds me of.

Just as Ms. Morgan is a skilled singer, Bob Lindquist is a skilled winemaker. But that performance and this bottle are about a choice; to do it straight and to do it for the sake of the fundamentals.

My impressions follow:

The 2006 Qupé, Syrah Central Coast is really impressive and ready now; wonderful northern Rhône-type aromatics that are rich and alluring; meaty and complex in the mouth, excellent varietal character, an elegant delivery and perfect balance; these are the smells and flavors that keep me coming back to syrah. A very complete wine, fully integrated and ready to drink now, 13.5% alcohol and a price tag of $16; I am going to buy a lot of this – one of those wines that both Diane and I feel we could drink a bottle of once a week. No overt wood, no spoof, no heavy extraction, and ideal ripeness. What a terrific wine!

It went extremely well with ricotta/feta tart, broccoli salad and crusty rolls – truly enhanced the meal.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com