• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: None rant

Florida Jim

The 2005 V. Dauvissat, Chablis Le Foret is not going to take any prize for size or weight, but it is pure, balanced and utterly of its place. We had it with grilled chicken, roasted red peppers and Caesar salad and found that more of its mineral component came out. Surely this will age well but it is not to be missed before it closes down. A very fine wine with the signature purity of its producer.

I opened a 375 ml of Del Duque, Amontillado Muy Viejo prior to dinner and this 30 year solera sherry was very aromatic with nuts and citric smells, a caramel color and enough alcoholic bite to sooth a sore throat. After a sip or two, it rounds out very nicely and would be good accompaniment for fried foods. Nice, and worth having a small bottle around from time to time.

With dinner, a bottle of 2005 Filipa Pato, Tinto Ensaios smelled of dirt and fruit; had a very earthy palate but still carried more than enough fruit, was moderately complex and had medium length. An intriguing Portuguese table wine from the Beiras region; the earthy elements really give it character and match quite well with food. I’ll buy more of this at $15.

For $6, the 2003 Lanciola, Chianti Colli Fiorentini will go reasonably well with more than a few dinner choices as it has soil and chocolate on the nose and in the mouth, does not show the alcohol and extraction of the vintage, and, generally delivers an elegant if understated performance.

I’m just not sure about the 2005 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba; it doesn’t have much varietal character right now and its tough and steely across the palate – almost minty; concentrated and balanced, maybe it just needs a few years in the cellar. And since it’s this producer, I think I will trust in that.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com